Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do you know if CPU is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanishfleee

Technical User
Jun 1, 2005
GB
is there any way of tellin if your CPU is dead. my computer at the monent when swithed on the cpu fan spins round 4-5 times and stops.

Need more info - like when did this start to happen? Did you do anything that may have stopped it working? What are tyhe system details/CPU?

There are many tests to be done before you decide it is the CPU.

Reset the power supply. Remove everything inc RAM except the CPU. Remove & re-seat the CPU with fresh grease or pad.
Power up - and see what happens.

& that's just for starters!

spanishfleee
Spins 4-5 times? not normally a symptom of a bad CPU but could be:

The CPU fan is connected to the wrong fan header on the motherboard?

Power supply failure

something shorting like one to many brass standoff mounting posts

An addon card is preventing start (remove all unecessary cards

Clear cmos

More info required.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

1/2 a turn is generally the result of a shorted supply. 4 or 5 turns is also a crowbar shutdown but not neccessarily a hard short.
Pull power of all your drives and see if it changes the shutdown time. You could have a power supply gone sensitive to what you are pulling.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks for the tips i will try them. the sysetem is an athlon xp3200+ 512 MB ram (2x 256MB) onboard graphics,

spanishfleee
What motherboard is that then?
Most of the socket A motherboards with onboard graphics DON'T support 400fsb and will only support upto XP3.0+ which is the fastest 333 front side bus XP.

You would have to have one of the latest for it to support the 400fsb 3.2 Barton, just a thought.
Martin

spanishfleee
Did you see me mention 3.2Ghz? No?

XP3.2+ CPU runs at just over 2.2Ghz but has a FRONT SIDE BUS OF 400!!!!!!!!!!!

DOES YOUR MOTHERBOARD SUPPORT 400 FRONT SIDE BUS?

Or is it like most of the other socket A motherboards with integrated graphics and only supports upto CPU's with 333fsb.

I'm not talking about supported memory! all these boards support DDR400, PC3200 memory modules.

Look in your motherboards manual to see CPU front side bus supported upto?

Also what speed is your ram? it needs to be PC3200 (DDR400)

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back