Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you keep from charting NULL values?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2005
US
This is a complicated thing to explain, but I’m going to give it a try. I have two columns of values that I would like to chart. One has a value in each record where the other one has a value only for one type of record (BP). This chart uses filters to show the values for each type of record (BP, Heart Rate, O2 Levels….). The catch is when I preview the chart; the legend shows two values for each record type. The only one that actually has a second value is BP. All the others are NULL/Blank. Is there a way to show the second value ONLY for BP and ONLY show one value for all the others?

But surely you are showing different charts ???
You are not showing
Heart Rate
Other BP
Other MAP

on the same chart are you ?? - well same chart but I assumed from your description that the chart would be represented in different sections of the report so you have a "Heart Rate" section and a chart in there. Then you have a "Other BP" section and a chart in there etc etc
What I am suggesting is that you can test the section to determine the chart to show. This would have to be run to be rendered even just for printing so I don't see that as an issue unless I have misinterpreted how you have the report laid out...

Rgds, Geoff

Three things are certain. Death, taxes and lost data. DPlank is to blame

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

We don't mean put your charts side by side. We mean literally placing one chart control on top of another. When the filter is "BP" you make the top chart visible and the bottom chart invisible. When the filter is anything but "BP" you make the top chart invisible and the bottom chart visible. To the user it looks like a single chart taking up a single chart's real estate.

I don't understand what you mean about the printer. What you see on the screen (one chart visible, other invisible) should be what you get in the printer. Is this not what you are getting?

Yea, I think it’s time for more clarification. Yes, all of the vitals are on one chart (as requested by one of the VPs). It doesn’t make sense to me either, but it’s what he wants. It is at the top of a daily report that shows a patent’s history for a one-day period. There is an Input/Output chart below it. Then in the lower left quarter are the nurses’ notes for the day. The lower right section are Lab Results for the day. In a thin strip on the bottom is patient weight and other once a day measurements. This layout was specified by the same VP. I realize this is more information than you need, but I figured it couldn’t hurt. So all of the data needs to be shown all at once.

Apologies then - I assumed that you had a table GROUPEd by ClassLL - in which case the workaround should work. Given your layout, I can't see how you can achieve what you want without waiting for the next version of SSRS to come out - as per Catadmin's post

Rgds, Geoff

I had success last night, or at least I accomplished my goal. I more or less catered to the chart in my query by adding

SELECT what.*, CASE WHEN what.ClassLL = 'Other BP' THEN what.Expn1 END AS Systolic,
CASE WHEN what.ClassLL = 'Other BP' THEN what.expn2 END AS Dyastolic,
CASE WHEN what.ClassLL = 'Heart Rate' THEN what.Expn1 END AS [Heart Rate], CASE WHEN what.ClassLL = 'Sp02' THEN what.Expn1 END AS Sp02,
CASE WHEN what.ClassLL = 'Resp. Rate' THEN what.Expn1 END AS Resp,
CASE WHEN what.ClassLL = 'Temperature F Manual' THEN what.Expn1 END AS [Temp]

at the beginning of it. This more or less gave every type its own column. It did solve the graphing problem. It may not be neat or elegant, but it works.

Thank you for posting the completed solution :)

Rgds, Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back