Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do you install windows xp from dos? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacklivedhere

Technical User
Jun 22, 2002
AU
ok i have no choice at the time other than to reinstall windows from ms-dos, but i got a list of problems, first one been i dont know the first thing about ms-dos syntax and cannont acess my own os cause all my input devices to work in it, so how do i get dos to recgonise my cd drive and reinstall windows without losing data?
i have a startup disk

The XP CD-ROM is bootable, so if your system supports booting from CD-ROM, just start up the system with the XP CD in the drive. It will autorun, and bring you right into the installation.

Assuming your BIOS supports it, set it to boot the CDROM first, then just boot from the install CD.

If that doesn't work for whatever reason, or you're simply set on the boot floppy/cd method, boot up the floppy. Once it's done, change to the CD ROM drive. Go to the I386 directory, and run the winnt.exe located there.

thanks for the help, just one more thing will reinstalling windows xp from dos make me lose any of my existing files?
thanks again

If windows detects a previous intallation it will ask you if you want to repair it. If you select this option your files will be safe. You will however have to replace any windows updates you have downloaded.

Have a look at method 2 in this article.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Doing anything other than an upgrade in place will obliterate your previous settings and preferences, as well as all software installs you've done being negated and requiring re-installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back