Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you import a Specification from another DB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan

MIS
Aug 27, 1998
US
Iam trying to split a DB and would like to be able to bring an "Import Specification" file across along with my tables/queries/forms. I have not been able to see how the "Import Spec" file can be brought across. Any help would be appreciated ...

Dylan,<br>
<br>
What version(s) of Access? If same version, and if disk space is not a concern, copy and delete works nicely, as long as we're talking Access to Access. If you're trying to import from another format, e.g. xBase or Paradox, probability is small that the spec would be included. However, later versions of Access (the Office97 version (Access 8.0?), or the iterations of Visual Suite (Visual InterDev) may provide what you need. <br>
<br>
But my best bet with Access to date has been to copy, then delete the internals that are not wanted. Not the most efficient, I warrant, and difficult to do generically in code, but works like a bandit stealing jewels if you have the time and space for it.<br>
<br>
Make a good day . . .<br>
. . . barn<br>

simply click on the Options button in the Import Objects dialog box. You will then see the option to import the import/export specs. This is in Access 97.

Under what menu selection is the Import Objects dialog box? What window in Access must you be in to see the Import Objects dialog box?

Hi RonB,<br>
<br>
You find Import/Export specs from File/Get External Data/Import and then press Options button (Access97).<br>
<br>
Isn't it funny that Microsoft recommends using macro code to do this, even in Access97!<br>
Check the hard way (and for previous versions the only way):<br>
<br>
Al

Hi Al,<br>
<br>
I'm sorry but there is no Options button in the Import dialog box. At least there isn't in my version of Access 97. I know where the Import/Export Specs are cause I use them all the time but there is no Options button. I have the Import dialog box open as I type this and there simply isn't one. Are there different versions of Access 97? The only buttons on the Import dialog box are Import, Cancel, Advanced, Find Now, and New Search. The only Options selection I'm aware of is under Tools on the Main Menu bar, but you can't get to the Tools menu while the Import dialog box is open. Can you be more specific where this Option button is? Thanks

RonB,<br>
<br>
You must choose the database that you will be importing from. Then in the dialog box that shows the list of tables, queries, etc. to choose there is an options button on the bottom.

PSchiele,<br>
<br>
OK, I found the Options buttom. But using this only works if you are going from one Access database to another Access database. When you import text files you don't get the Options button. <br>
<br>
I have import specifications for 5 text files that I import into Access daily. These text files I download daily from the mainframe. What I want to do is duplicate the 5 import specifications in another Access database on a different drive on our server without having to retype them in the new database. I don't think there is a way to do this, at least I haven't found it.

Did anybody every figure out how to do this for a txt file?
I am in the same situation. I would like to copy import specifications for txt files to another db.

njb: The only way I've figured out how to do this is to copy the entire .mdb that contains the import specs to a different drive, folder, or whatever. Then I rename the .mdb and delete the tables, queries, etc. I don't want in the new .mdb. You can now use the import specs to import text files into this new .mdb. This seems like a lot of work to just get a few import file specs. You'd think Microsoft would have given us a way to this programmatically without having to use the wizard. If you are anyone else has figured out a better way, please let us all know.

Thanks Ron. I agree - its' a lot of work. There are a lot of tables, forms, queries, etc in this mdb and it probably is easier to rekey the specifications. Not the ideal situation. I posted this question on the microsoft discussion site. I'll let you know if I get an answer. Thanks again for your time.

Got an answer! Go to file/import and pick the mdb you need to import from. When you get your list of objects, click on Options. Select import/export specs. Then click OK. When I did this I did not select an other objects to be imported and it still worked. It did tell me it couldn't import everything because of key errors but I got enough for what I want to do.

What and where you are importing and exporting may cause this not to work. If you are installing into the same MDB on another PC (in other words a copy of the application), it will work . If you are installing into another MDB (different application) you may run into a key problem. I have found there are 2 hidden system tables that contain this information. Each import specification is assigned an ID number. If that ID number is already used by the mdb you are importing into, then you may run into a duplicate key.

You can probably somehow extract the data from the two system tables (mySysImexSpecs & mySysImexColumns), change the SpecID number and append it to the same tables in the destination mdb. You would need to keep them in sync.

So, not a perfect solution, but better than what I had before!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back