Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you have roaming profiles without the roam? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DELLirious

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2004
US
This may seem simple to some, but I am not able to find an answer.

I would like the users to have roaming profiles and their my documents pointed to a folder on the server. I have done that.

How do I stop the synchronization to the desktop, especially for users with large my documents folders. I need them to have large files in there, but I need them to stay on the server until they need them.

Roaming profiles are exactly that - PROFILES. Not files. Files should not be included. Have them play with the files on a network share not locally.

See also my reply in the exclude directories in this forum.

Have you tried using folder redirection through group policy for mydocuments to a separate network share?

MAL

I should have been clearer. I have the profiles roaming and that is working great.

The folder redirection is acutually what I am talking about. I want the folder redirected but I do not want the files downloaded each time a user logs onto the machine.

PS Any way to limit the size of these folders?

I have to agree with the advice given above. Give your users a drive mapping to a new folder on the network and have them move thier files there so they are not part of the profile at all. This will accomplish your goal of keeping the files from replicating at login.

Second part of your request, yes, you can limit the folder sizes. What you will want to do is use a new volume that specifically is just for the user folders (and not group folders). You can then enable disk quotas which will limit the amount of disk space allowed to your users. Because this works on a volume level, you would want ot keep just those user folders there since group shares often require more space and you woud not (presumably) want to have those files included in the quota.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Yes. Helpful info.

I will do that when I get back in on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back