Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you forward from outlook to Blackberry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbarker

MIS
Aug 14, 2003
US
Could anyone please help me with this? I have never used a wireless device and I have been given the task to set this up for some sales guys. They need there emails forwarded from Outlook onto Blackberry. We are using Exchange Server 2000.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Mike.barker@emagia.com

There are two ways to do this and it depends on if the BlackBerry devices are the Internet Edition or Enterprise Edition (most are Enterprise Edition).

I'm assuming you do not have a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. And this is fine. It's not necessary to forward the mail. And if it's only for a few users, the server isn't the most cost effective method anyway.

Now, onto the instructions:

The first method is to use the BlackBerry Desktop Redirector software that is installed when you install the Desktop Manager software. This acts as the gateway between the users Outlook Mailbox (I'm assuming you're using Outlook because you are on Exchange2000) and the BlackBerry device much like a BlackBerry Enterprise Server would. The only downside to this is that in order for the user to receive e-mail on the BlackBerry, their PC must be kept on 24/7.

Just start the Desktop Manager software and plug in the BlackBerry device. You will be asked to generate a security key. Just move the mouse around to generate the key.

Once that is done, start the BlackBerry Redirector. It will take a few minutes for it to initialize, verify the user's e-mail address and then begin working. Once the status reads "Running", you are all set (just make sure the BlackBerry wireless antenna is on and that the user has signal - you can view this in the upper right hand corner of the BlackBerry screen).

The next method is to create an Outlook Rule to redirect the user's e-mail to the BlackBerry. What you will need to do is find out what the e-mail address for the BlackBerry device is. You can get that by sending a test message from the BlackBerry and getting the e-mail address from the received message.

I would recommend the redirector of the outlook rule.

If you need further help, just let me know.

- mfortunato

Mfortunato,

Can you explain the "web client" ?? I was told we can use that instead of the desktop software that requires the pc on 24/7

we tried the desktop software, but when we read messages or send from the blackberry, then sync, it doesnt update both ends w/ read messages or sent etc......

thanks for any info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back