Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you export a memo field to Word? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 1999
IE
I have a problem exporting a report from Access to Word, using Office 2000

Some of the text does not get exported. Lines are truncated and some paragraphs have whole sentences missing

The errors occur in a memo field. They are not huge, probably 1000 characters at most in some records

Is there any solution?

Try writing a query and exporting the output to a text file. I think you'll get an rtf file. Will check off-line and re post if I have a better answer.

First, I take it that all the text in the memo field appears in the report when you preview it before export. I ask because you have to be careful with memo fields - if you put them into a SQL select statement they will be truncated.

Next, I had the same problem exporting to Word, which turned out to be because the text width is calculated differently in Word. So Word would try to re-wrap the lines output by the report, and if that meant having to wrap to extra lines at the end of the output text box (could be a few if you have 1000 chars), the extra lines would be lost. There is a KB article that purports to address this problem - Q208875 - but I didn't find it helpful. What worked for me was to use the RH margin setting on the report text box definition to force the lines to be slightly shorter than the text box width. Word doesn't know about that so shortens the original width - to the right amount if you get the margin setting right.

Sorry about the delay in responding and thanks for both of these replies. In fact what I ended up doing was running a query and printing it off and it worked okay. No text was lost.

Jimbonz I thought your answer appeared a bit technical for me when I first read it but having worked through it, it actually does the trick, and it is not at all difficult. So that's a very useful tip for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back