Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you export a large table into excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrailblazerLS

Technical User
Sep 26, 2006
US
I have a user with a table of 210,000 rows. She exported it into EXCEL and received only 16,000 rows. I thought Excel would convert 64,000 at a time.
Should she copy from Access and paste into Excel????
Does she have to do it in increments????

For me, the true question is:
why transfer partial info into excel ?

Hi,

Why export a table? It's in Access and can be accessed as you would any other table in a query to return the subset of data that you need. I doubt if you would need 200,000 rows of data. Excel currently has a limit of 655,536 rows.

I access data from MS Access, Oracle, DB2 into Excel. Althought there are hundreds of thousands of rows, I get the data that I need.

Check out Data/Get External Data/New Database query... in Excel.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Heck, I analyse HUGE amounts of data in other databases in Excel using MS Query.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Generally, I run into this when the user is comfortable with Excel, and not with Access.

Row limitation is version based I believe, and I am using Excel 2003 which reports:

Worksheet size 65,536 rows by 256 columns

With that in mind, what I usually do is get the user to agree on summary data, which means you are looking for 1 or more fields to group a query by to get fewer records but still have the same totals represented.

It is just an idea :). Best of luck.

Glad you caught my 600,000+ row typo.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back