Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you do a manual backup on the bootstrap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTan

Technical User
Oct 9, 2001
SG
As the question stated in the subject title....

Just start the group where your backup-server is in:

savegrp -c backup-server Group_with_backupserver

Running 'savegrp -O' will save all client file indexes and the bootstrap, without backing up the entire group that the NW server is in.

Starting a group for the server client only (like allesmueller) is more convenient.

BTW - "savegrp -O -G groupname" is a valid tool but it will ONLY backup the indexes of the clients belonging to this group - not all clients as stated.

I stated that savegrp -O will back up all client indexes and the bootstrap, this is correct. See the savegrp man page for more info.

Sorry to say, Serbstatic, but you misinterpreted the manpage. There is no statement about "all" clients in the data zone. And as the command only starts a specific group, how should it know about all the other clients not beloning to this group.

I have not verified this since - at that time it worked exactly as i described. To my knowledge, NW did not change the behaviour of this option.

In order to backup the indexes and create a bootstrap, I have created a bootstrap group with every client a member of the group and run the following savegrp from cron:

savegrp -O -l full bootstrap

This causes a full backup of the indexes and creates a full bootstrap.

If you run savegrp -O without a group name, it will cause a backup of the indexes in the Default group only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back