Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you decide when a tape is *really* deprecated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markey164

Technical User
Apr 22, 2008
GB
Hi guys,

I don't know about you guys, but fairly regularly, i find tapes ending up in the retired media pool, when i'm fairly confident there is nothing really wrong with them. Reason given is usually excessive read write errors.

I've got two libraries, with about 150 LTO4 tapes in each and find maybe a handful of tapes every couple of weeks or so get deprecated. Auto cleaning is setup on the tape libraries, so drives are regularly cleaned. Tapes ages are a mixture of 6 months to 2 years. Any range of new or old tapes get deprecated. Even new ones when they were only a few weeks old.

Obviously just bringing them back into the scratch pool (which is what i'm doing) isn't ideal, but i'm not going to throw away what i'm fairly sure are perfectly working tapes.

How can you *really* tell when a tape is deprecated?

No one wants to take chances with their data, how do others deal with this? I assume other people see this issue to some degree.

TIA

Am replying to bring this post back to the top. Am interested in an answer myself!

Bump. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Is there a tape test utility or something that checks if tapes really are deprecated?

I would like to know what others are doing about this too.

This not only happens to me but also happens on my virtual tape library too.

I would love to see an impartial third party tool to check the tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back