Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you check the CPU temperarture

Status
Not open for further replies.

pechenegs

MIS
Jun 15, 2003
GB
hi al, i've read a lot in here about CPU temperarture. How do you check the CPU temperarture in Xp pro ?

cheers pech

This has nothing to do with XP. Most motherboard manufacturers include a utiliy to check the temperature. It usually runs in the taskbar. If you don't have one for your motherboard, use google to search for motherboard monitor. It works quite well.

ok guys, thx for replying, what's a safe temp for the CPU, i'm just curious, I don't have any probs as yet?

once again cheers pech

Depends on what system you are running but looking around 40 - 45 Should be cool !

I use a cheap digital inside/outside desktop thermometer. You just cut off the "outside" probe and replace it with a (25K?) thermister. It's the only really tiny thermister that Radio Shack sells. Carefully solder the thermister to the "outside" lead and insert it carefully into the heatsink. Constant monitoring of the temp! Just remember that you are measuring the heatsink and not the CPU. Check the temp in BIOS and compare it with the thermometer as a base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back