Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you change power management defaults in XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikefive

MIS
Jan 14, 2002
US
By default, XP powers down the monitor after 20 minutes. However, we have a PC for presentations only, which any number of users in our network may use and logon to. Admin rights (I believe) are required to change the power configuration. But I don't want to give every user in my network Admin privileges. And setting up a generic logon is not really practical.

How can I change the DEFAULT power profile to "presentations", so the screen doesn't go black in the middle of our presentations?

Any help would be appreciated.

Click 'START' select 'CONTROL PANEL' on the top left select "Switch to classic view" select 'POWER OPTIONS'
change settings to 'NEVER'

Jim

In the control panel, choose power options.
Select the one you want to be active.
Click apply

Thanks for your help guys.

But I guess I didn't make myself clear. I understand how to change power options. But my users don't have the privileges on the machine to do that. Thus, they are stuck with a power down of the monitor after 20 minutes. They can't change it.

What I want to do is change the DEFAULT options, so that instead of "Home/Office" or whatever the default option is (which powers down the monitor), any new user profile (created when a new user logs into the domain) takes the "Presentations" option automatically.

Perhaps an even more thorough explanation would help.

We have a PC in a big conference room. It's sole purpose is to show powerpoint presentations on an overhead that is connected to it. Any number of different users in our (nationwide) organization may be asked to come to my office to do this. So anticipating individual login names is not practical.

These users typically keep their presentations on our network file servers. Thus, they know that when they get to my office, they can login to our domain (which would never have been done before using that PC) and retrieve their slideshow.

(This is why a local machine shared login is impractical. I have proposed having people login to the domain, download their presentation to C:, then use a generic local machine login--with the correct power settings--to run the presentation. But the higher-ups want a simpler solution.)

These users have only minimal rights on this presentations PC, which is the way I need it to be. I can't afford to have them try to install Weatherbug or some other stupid crap on this PC that creates popups or heaven knows what other problems. That would be a potential support nightmare for me. This PC should pretty much sit there and do it's job with little need for attention from me.

Unfortunately though, giving users minimal rights precludes them from changing the power settings. So posting a note that says Click Start...Control Panel...Power Management...etc. won't work. If someone knows of a way for me to give them JUST the rights to change the power options and little else, that would be an adequate solution, too.

So I hope now it is clear why I want the DEFAULT power options to be changed. Any user in our company could potentially login to our domain on that PC (having never done so before) to give a presentation. That creates a new profile for that user, which takes the default power settings, but they can't change them. And in this case, the default settings are undesirable.

This shouldn't be that difficult. Of course, this is Microsoft we're talking about.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back