Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do you backup domain and workgroup servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigmab

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2001
US
I have backupexec 9.1 installed on a win 2000 server which is part of a domain. How can I backup a server which is in a workgroup. Note I can map a drive to the workgroup server from the domain server. Also the workgroup server is win 2000 and has backupexec 9.1 installed. Any help would be appreciated.

If you want to do it the right way you're going to need to buy some remote agents for those servers. Remote agents allow you to select remote server shares and backup them up. Backup Exec will not allow you to backup a mapped drive (if they did they'd lose all that lovely remote agent revenue).

If you want to do something in the meanwhile or if you have budget constraints, you can use NTBackup to backup the remote servers to a local drive on the backup server. Just make sure you work the schedule out so the NTBackup jobs are done before the Backup Exec job starts. This is a little pain in the behind but at least your data is backed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back