Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do U sync scripts over multiple boxes? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

aixmurderer

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2000
NZ
I'm sure some of you have identical servers with identical scripts etc. which needs to be changed from time to time. How do you go about updating all servers at once with the same changes?

The way I am doing it presently is by keeping a central repository of my scripts on a single server, these I will modify as required. Then by using "rdist" I update the other servers with the new versions.

I am interested to find out how others do it and reasons why. Anyone use CVS? If so, what is the advantages of CVS over other more direct ways like ftp, rdist, etc?

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

rdist is how I do it as well, a good tool.

CVS - AFAIK - is a version control utility rather than a distribution tool. Very useful for keeping track of what was in version 1.2.15.6 of a script.

Mike

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

It's like this; even samurai have teddy bears, and even teddy bears get drunk.

I use the automounter to share out the directory. I use it for patches and packages as well as software like SAMBA.

GM

I use a util that uses rdist as well. I didn't write it, but I've made some modifications and enhanced it a little bit. The original author let me post it on sourceforge, so you can actually go to and see it. I haven't had much time to do a lot with it, so it's just the original tarball and the docs at this point.

--
Andy
"Historically speaking, the presence of wheels in Unix has never precluded their reinvention."
Larry Wall

Thanks guys, you basically confirmed my belief.

CVS was recommended by our developers, but since that is all that they know, and the purpose of usage is totally different to what my needs are I felt that CVS isn't a solution for what I am after.

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

You could create a nfs mounted drive and have 1 copy that both machines use.

--
| Mike Nixon
| Unix Admin
|
----------------------------

You can also use rsync.

>---------------------------------------Lawrence Feldman
SR. QA. Engineer SNAP Appliance
lfeldman@snapappliance.com

Here's a new idea to keep scripts in sync...

I have two 4-machine unix clusters which need to be identical. All editing in files etc is done via ssh and vi/emacs/whatever. Each 'edit' needs to be propagated to the three other machines in the cluster.

So why doesn't someone code a terminal emulator, where you can log in to several machines/windows simultaneously and perform commands on all 'terminal windows', by typing them once?

My vision is to have the screen split into 4 (or how many you want) sections, and have the command line typed outside of the windows. When hitting 'enter', the command line will be 'copied-and-pasted' into each console window, and the results be displayed in each.

This would also have the benefit of being able to perform changes on all machines simultaneously.

Just as an idea...

~Mike

milbo,

Take a look at snoopit from cactus, allows you to type on other terminal sessions......

--
| Mike Nixon
| Unix Admin
|
----------------------------

miblo,

Sun's ctelnet which comes with Sun Cluster software also does what you want.

Annihilannic.

mrn, Annihilannic - thanks for your tips!

~Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back