Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do u stop the floppy from booting during bootup? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

phlynch

Technical User
Jul 16, 2001
US
My floppy always tries to boot when i am entering Win 2K Pro. I have had a couple of installs of Win 2k due to other fatal errors. Latest install is good and have been using for several months. However, my floppy seems to always boot (light comes on and the heads spin) once windows is almost finished launching. I dont recall it doing this on my previous installations. Anyone else have this occur. Is there a way to turn the floppy from booting during entering windows. I have checked the startup and recovery menus but couldnt find anything.

I have to ask...is there a floppy in the drive? If so - it will try to read it before explorer.exe finishes loading.
Same with CD-ROMs.. Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful. Thanks!

Pbxman
Systems Administrator

The option resides in your BIOS. Depending on which BIOS your computer has, your 'advanced' or 'startup' tab/section shoud allow you to customize your boot options. Change it so that your 'IDE 0' option is displayed first instead of 'floppy'. If you ever have to bootup on a floppy, then you will need to go back in and replace the 'IDE 0' with 'floppy'. ________
S. Joseph Vergara
SVergara@Texas.net

Do you have an anti-virus software installed on your system? Most AV softwares will let you configure when you want to scan floppies and if it's not configured the default is at startup (which would be about at the time Windows finishes loading) and when you shut down (at least in the case of Norton AV). This will be done even if there is no disk in the drive.

Hope this helps... Eric Daoust
Level 2 Support Analyst

I tried messing with the BIOS. I moved the floppy drive to the 3rd boot device. #1 is IDE1, #2 is CD-Rom #3 is Floppy.

The floppy light comes up during the computer initialization along with the CD drives. This is normal.

However, the floppy also tries to boot while entering Windows. Happens right as the "loading system settings and network connections windows are appearing". The boot is also different from the first boot during the bios intialization. The green light and the sectors on the floppy activate a couple of times (total duration is about 3-4 seconds). I would think that all BIOS related boot commands have ended at this point.

It seems to me that this windows entry floppy boot is software related with Windows.

you may want to check to see if a program is trying to be loaded during startup and is looking at the A Drive. Check Startup and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (check all run options) to verify no access to A:\...

This is slim chance, otherwise my money would be on Anti-virus software or Virus on system. Good Luck -md

Also - make sure any wallpaper you may have activated on your desktop isn't trying to load from a floppy. Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful. Thanks!

Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Nope,

I have no wallpaper and no anti-virus programs running on my machine.

In regards to a virus doing this. Kinda of boring for a virus maker, dont you think. It doesnt cause any problems, just a little annoying when my computer boots up to have the floppy try and boot.

Curious though in regards to BIOS. I have my two harddrives running off an ATA100 card. My DVD drive runs off one IDE, MY CD-R drive runs off the other IDE.

What would you choose for the boot order for this. The options were IDE 1 thru 4, CD-ROM, floppy, HDD. I am trying to remember this cause i am not in front of my computer right now looking at the BIOS. My BIOS has the first 3 boot orders as user selectable, and the fourth option states "Boot Other Devices" with Enable or Disable as the option. I tried turning this to Disable and my computer would not boot up to Windows at all. I thought i could keep the floppy from not booting this way. I also didnt select my floppy to boot in the first 3 boot order selections.

When i disabled "Boot other devices", i am assuming it couldnt find my harddrives. What option in the first 3 boot orders would i select for the BIOS to find my harddrives which run of a PCI slot ATA100 card.

Hope this topic isnt getting to old. I appreciate the help.

Because W2K looks after all hardware when it is running I think the BIOS could be eliminated as the source of the floppy being accessed.
I would instead look for the program that is accessing the floppy.
I run W2K and have not got that problem,I have a floppy in my drive and have pushed it in during final stage of W2K start and it has ignored the disk.

"Boot Other Devices" is an alternative to first three options. It will never get that far unless it doesn't find a suitable bootable drive in choices 1-3. Typically, 'other devices' would be removeable drives or network boot.

If it will not boot when this option is 'disabled' something is definitely wrong with your hardware settings in the BIOS. Suggest you allow your BIOS to 'AutoDetect' you IDE drives to ensure it is recording them properly. If this isn't an option, then see if you have the option to set each of your IDE connections to 'Auto'.

If you still aren't having any luck, begin disabling IDE drives in your BIOS so that you can isolate the problem drive(s) (e.g. disable all but IDE1 Master) and attempt to boot up to it, followed by IDE1 Slave...). If at any point your drives can't be read then you've isolated your problem.

Lastly, check for any flash-bios upgrades that may be available for your particular motherboard.

Good Luck! ________
S. Joseph Vergara
SVergara@Texas.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back