Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW DO U DO A RESET ON A BCM 400?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCMnewguy

Technical User
Oct 10, 2008
US
I am having a problem with my BCM 400. When i do the new update for the patches. it does not show that it was installed. so i reboot, shutdown the system reset to fact. default. nothing is working. So how do u do a level 2 reset on a BCM 400?

Which updates did you install?
If it was the Desktop patch, did you download the new EM from the BCM after the patch was installed?
You cant do a level 2 reset on a BCM400 system.

Let us know what updates you loaded.

NCSS, NCDS, NCTS

There is no Level 2 reset on a BCM400. You can BIT image the hard drive to get it back to original.

Can you elaborate on what patches you are installing? Also, provide your software level of the BCM and the steps you're taking when applying the patches.

--DB

Actually, you can do an equivalent to a BCM50 level 2 reset on a 400 rel 4.0.

Go to backup/restore under administration. Select restore here. In the drop down menu box just above the restore button, select factory defaults. Click the restore button. Click OK on the window that opens up. It warns you that this action will replace the current backup file on the BCM. Provided that's not a problem for you, just click ok on that. Another window opens up with a bunch of components with all checkboxes checked. If you want to restore everyting to factory, just leave them all checked and hit restore. It acts just like any other restore. Let it finish and when it reboots you're done. Factory defaults! Just be advised that this action will turn off DHCP for the OA&M port so you will have to manually configure your PC with a 10.10.11.x address to log back into it. Once in. just enable DHCP for the LAN2 interface again.

If you just want to restore certain components, just uncheck the boxes you don't want reset and do the same thing.

Works like a charm.

will that also remove the updates/patches installed and also the keycodes?

It was the last update that nortel put out. I wanted to wipe out the update and reinstall. How can i do that? because factory reset did not clean out the up date.

here are the updates:
BCM.R400.SU.DESKTOP.012_BCM_4.0: BCM.R400.SU.Desktop.012-200812
BCM.R400.SU.SYSTEM.017_BCM_4.0: BCM.R400.SU.System.017-200812

There is no OAM port on the BCM 400. Only on BCM 50 & 450.

OA&M port is on LAN2 as LAN1 is the BCMs published IP address by default. Just semantics.

A a practice, we always connect the customers network to LAN1 and leave 2 for us to be able log in without dealing with customer network issues. By default, it has a subnet mask of 255.255.255.252 which only leaves 2 assignable addresses, one for the BCM an one fr the PC plugged into it, hence the reference to OA&M. But you are technically correct, there is nothing officially designated as such on the 400.

I am not worried about my information on this BCM 400, I just want to wipe out theupdates and reinstall them.

In that case, DBrewsky is correct. The only way I know of to remove those updates is to re-image the drive (or replace it with a factory replacement). Resetting to factory defaults does not remove patches or keycodes.....unfortunately.

Sorry, I should have read your original post a little closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back