Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do the analog ports work for faxing on the UCx?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdom

MIS
Oct 5, 2005
US
Hi everybody: I'm hoping to receive some advice about our fax situation here. We have a dedicated fax line that gives us nothing but junk faxes. We send very rarely, and are thinking about dropping the dedicated fax line and making the fax machine an extension on the UCx. My questions would be:

-Can the fax machine work just like an extension and send out on any of our POTS lines when an external number is dialed? Or would you recommend putting in a dialing pattern that would send faxes out on one POTS line only?

-How do incoming faxes work? Will the UCx listen for fax tones and route the fax to the fax extension? During the business day, we have our phones ring a ring group. Will the UCx listen for fax tones before it would send the call to the ring group, or would those in the incoming call ring group need to be taught to transfer a call to the fax extension if they hear tones on the other end?

-What about after hours when the auto attendant answers every call? I'm assuming that the UCx would listen for tones in this mode as well and route the call appropriately?

The Avaya Partner systems did a great job on this feature in auto attendant mode. I'm hopeful we can make something work on the UCx as well.

Thanks for the help!
Michael

mrdom,
Here are answers next to your questions:

-Can the fax machine work just like an extension and send out on any of our POTS lines when an external number is dialed? Or would you recommend putting in a dialing pattern that would send faxes out on one POTS line only? ANSWER:Yes, the analog port\device of the UCx can be programmed to go out any available trunk, or a specific trunk if programmed properly. This is defined in the Outbound Routes

-How do incoming faxes work? Will the UCx listen for fax tones and route the fax to the fax extension? During the business day, we have our phones ring a ring group. Will the UCx listen for fax tones before it would send the call to the ring group, or would those in the incoming call ring group need to be taught to transfer a call to the fax extension if they hear tones on the other end?- ANSWER: You can set the "Fax Detect" settings on the Inbound Route to send the incoming call that is a fax call to the analog port with the fax machine, OR you can send the call to a Fax Recipient. A Fax Recipient is defined in the Extensions settings when you Enable the fax and send the fax to an e-mail address.

-What about after hours when the auto attendant answers every call? I'm assuming that the UCx would listen for tones in this mode as well and route the call appropriately? ANSWER: The same as question 2 -You can set the "Fax Detect" settings to send the incoming call that is a fax call to the analog port with the fax machine, OR you can send the call to a Fax Recipient. A Fax Recipient is defined in the Extensions settings when you Enable the fax and send the fax to an e-mail address.

I hope this helps and have a blessed day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back