Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I

Status
Not open for further replies.

dialtoneuk

Technical User
May 4, 2001
US
Hi all,
I'm a newbie to VB Express and I'm 'trying' to write a program to look-up a database for error codes and their meanings.
Can anyone tell me how I might go about doing this.

Any help would be really appreciated.

D.[neutral]

What sort of "error codes"?

Codes you have defined in your system?
VB Error codes?
DAO error codes?
ADO error codes?

[small]No! No! You're not thinking ... you're only being logical.
- Neils Bohr[/small]

Hi Golom,
I have a couple of large manuals with error codes and their descriptions which I am having to trawl through each time I get and error code that I don't recognise. I was wanting to create a VB front-end to look up the error code and display it's description. I'm trying to program this in VB Express, so my colleagues can have a copy as well.

D.[neutral]

What have you done so far? What you appear to be asking for is the design of an entire system (albiet a fairly simple one.)

Do you know how to
- create a database?
- design a database table?
- load data into it?
- open a VB connection to it?
- write SQL to retrieve data from it?
- display data on a form?

We could drop some data retrieval code here but I suspect that you need something more than that.

[small]No! No! You're not thinking ... you're only being logical.
- Neils Bohr[/small]

When you say VB Express are you talking about Visual Basic 2005 Express or are you talking about Visual Basic 6. These are vastly different animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back