Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I view the Custom Properties as part of a diagram for a shape 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2002
US
When I drag and drop a visio shape on to the palette there is only 1 properties (text) field that I am able to display. I imported my shapes from an access database and each shape has more than 1 custom property. However I am only able to view that one custom propery as part of the diagram. How do I make visio display the custom properties associated with the shape as part of the diagram?

do you require to "see" them as part of your shape or would it be fine to visualize them as a property box outside, or maybe you need to visualize them as a behavior element?

I would like to see them as part of my shape. For ex: I am diagramming a network and have several hundred routers. For each router I would like to display the hostname and the directly connected networks. These are 2 fields that I imported from an access database.

Hey,

What version of Visio are you using? You should be able to just insert an additional text field into the shape's text box. You can select the shape, press F2, put your cursor after the first text field, and choose Insert > Field.

Let me know if it doesn't work for you.

Adam Lofstedt
IT Services Manager
Visimation, Inc
Visio training and custom development

I am using Visio 2000 SR1. I tried your suggestion and it worked. However, shouldn't there be a way to automatically add this field. So when I generate the diagram from ms access, the field is created automatically. If possible I don't want to follow this procedure for over 300 routers if I don't have to. Is there a way to modify the "master" icon in the stencil?

I'm not sure if the routers that you are placing on the page are generic router shapes, or if each router is unique. If they are generic, then there is probably just one master shape that is getting copied multiple times to the drawing page. In that case, you can just edit the master shape in the stencil and add the text fields to the master. That way, the fields will show up on all the shapes that are dropped on the page.

You can edit a master shape in a stencil by right-clicking the grey title bar of the stencil and choosing "Edit". This puts the stencil into edit mode, where you can then right-click the master shape in the stencil and choose "Edit Master".

Let me know if this is what you are asking about...

Adam Lofstedt
IT Services Manager
Visimation, Inc
Visio training and custom development

When I right click on the Master Icon all I get is a picture of a router. There are no fields to modify.
Is there another way. Or am I missing something?

I really need to know more about your setup. Are you using some automation to code to automatically generate a diagram based on an Access database? If so, where are the original shapes?

I would like to clarify some terms so that we are speaking the same language. The stencil is the green container window that stores Master Shapes. Master shapes are the shapes in the stencil, and they are basically read-only, reusable objects. From these masters you can make copies (referred to as instances) and place them on your page. The "icon" is simply the 16X16 or 32X32 pixel symbol used to represent the master shape inside the stencil. If you right-clicked the Master shape in the stencil and choose Edit Icon from the menu, then you would not be editing the actual master shape. Rather, you would be editing the primitive "icon" in the stencil. What menu item did you choose when you right-clicked the Master shape in the stencil?

Adam Lofstedt

1. To answer your first question, I am using the Network Diagram Wizard included in Visio. I have a MS Access table that contains each router and its associated data fields. When I populate the vision diagram using the wizard only 1 field automatically is displayed.
2. 2nd question....i click on the "edit master" option when I right-click on the icon in the stencil.
thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back