Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I upgrade PC console on Definity G3 R9

Status
Not open for further replies.

icartmanxx

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
CA
I inherited support of a Definity G3 a few years ago. The system is connected to an ancient PC running PC Console v2.5.3.

Unfortunately the PC console has been acting up as of late and I am looking for a solution. I have tried replacing the Lucent 8411D which is connected to the PC via a serial cable but it still does't work. The "Test" button on the phone basically flashes 5 times and the PC Console s/w shows an error msg. I have tried changing the port number and also rebooting the telephone switch.

At this point in time I think I need a fix which will hold up long term. I have been debating about either upgrading the PC console application or purchasing a new telephone set for reception.

What would you recommend? Can the PC Console be upgraded to work with a newer PC (ie, no serial connection)? If the software can't be upgraded what sort of telephone set is recommended? We have roughly 50 extensions in use and I know our receptionist appreciates being able to simply click on a user to transfer calls.

Any feedback would be appreciated...

OK...let me ask this another way.

In my Definity software I can see that Attendant 1 is currently set to "302". This is what the PC Console is currently linked to.

If I purchase a used 302 console online which model should I purchase? I can see there are A, B, C and D variants and I'm not too sure what one offers over another.

Can anybody comment on this?

Right now I have forwarded our console to a 6416 telephone set which is working OK...but obviously doesn't have the same functionality.

I remember working on 302A console. Should work for you as well.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another failure with no loss of enthusiasm & energy - Winston Churchill

I would check that the adjunt power is working to the 8411D telephone.

In June 2001, the 302D Attendant Console replaced all sales of
the 302C Attendant Console (along with all prior models - 302A, 302B).
It is important to note that the 302D is 2-wire only and is backward compatible
to all 2-wire DEFINITY installations.

The 302As, 302Bs are 4-wire compatible only; where as the 302Cs are both 2-wire
and 4-wire compatible.

Product Migration Path:

The 302D Attendant Console is a viable replacement; however, the 302D is 2-wire
only compatible and the customer must address this in the event that 302As or
302Bs (both 4-wire) are being replaced (certain circuit cards will need to be
replaced with cards that support 2-wire at the customer's expense)

302a - console
302b - console
302c1 - console
302d1 - console
26b1 - busy lamp field / DSS Module

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

37 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 27 years and counting

This is no doubt a simple answer for you guys...but I am not a telephone guy.

How do I tell whether I'm using a 2-wire or 4-wire system?

It is based on the hardware that you program the station port with

tn754 - 4w DCP - 8 ports
tn2181 - 2w DCP - 16 ports
tn2224 - 2w DCP - 24 ports

The systems generally support all the above. The newer the board, the more ports available in a single circuit pack in a single slot.

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

37 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 27 years and counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back