Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I unlock the Screen Background in Display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jer0070

Technical User
Mar 30, 2002
US
I'm not sure what was changed, but I am unable to change the background in the display control panel and I've been unable to reactivate it. Can anyone help?

thanks in advance.

Can you give details of what happens when you try? Also, is this a standalone, workgroup or domain machine?

The options for backgrounds are greyed-out and cannot be selected. I suspect it is a setting in REGEDIT, but I'm not sure which "background" or "wallpaper" registry I need to change (nor what the acceptable value would be).

The machine is part of a corporate network domain, but its the only one that is behaving this way. I suppose I could document the registry values from a machine that works and compare them to the one that doesn't, but I'd rather not spend the time if that is not the solution.

thanks!

Just curious. Are the video card drivers installed correctly?

Jaon Rich Cook -- "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

go to registry and look for this string
Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Policies \System named "NoDispBackgroundPage" then set the value to either "1" or "0".
(i think that's the string)

Does it act the same way whoever logs on? (Just wondering if its a policy aimed at your user id).

I've tried changing "NoBackgroundPolicy" but that didn't do anything. I've been looking at the "Wallpaper" registries, but not sure if that's the problem. I'll try looking for a NoDispBackgroundPage registry. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back