Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I unlock a ubuntu tablet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orypecos

Technical User
Mar 3, 2004
US
How do I unlock a X41 Thinkpad tablet with ubantu installed on it? I bought a used tablet that appears that someone loaded Ubantu software. But it is password protected. Is there any default password for Ubantu software? Or is there some other way to unlock it without having to reload it? I don't have the XP reload disks. It has a sticker on the bottom for XP tablet software, so apparently that was originally loaded on it. It doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. I went into the setup menu, but it doesn't show a password enabled. Were would I get a XP tablet reload disk if I cn't get the the Ubuntu to work?

You can contact IBM.Or try this per the HMM.It is written in the “ThinkPad ComputerHardware Maintenance Manual” on page 35:

3. Turn on the computer. Watch the display carefully. When the following message is displayed, press the blue Access IBM button to open the Access IBM Predesktop Area: “To interrupt normal startup, press the blue Access IBM button.”

4. Double-click Recover to factory contents.

If the hidden partition has been deleted this will not work.

The fru for the recovery disk is 42J8381. Or try Ebay.

When I push the Access IBM blue button when starting up the computer, I only get three options. 'esc' to do a normal startup, or f12 to start from lan, or f2 to go into the bios set up screen.

Double-click Recover to factory contents"
the mouse is not enabled yet, so can't 'double click' anything. In the bios setup I can set to factory defaults, but that didn't do anything.
So I think that the xp software has been deleted.
But thanks anyway.

FRU stands for field replaceable part. IBM doesn't use part numbers, to order the recovery disk, order 42J8381, or look on ebay for it. Or download, any flavor of Linux if you prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back