Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do I Transfer Image to another computer 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisOz

Technical User
Mar 23, 2003
AU
I have Made a Ghost 2003 Image of my system and transfered it to a new computer and I cant reboot I have tried Partitioning and making a Fat 32 for the install files I tried to boot off the setup disks. I used an ERD all to no avail the problem I keep hiting appears to be that the disk is NTFS and the setup doesnt recognise it.

Any ideas???

Thanks Chris

Is the hardware in both PC's 100% identical? Ghosting can be very specific to the components within the PC the image was created on. Most of the time the Windows operating system can pick up differences in devices and components; however, the biggest problem is when changing chipsets. If you are ghosting from one system to another system that has a different chipset, Windows will see that they have changed and immediately go into a protected mode, refusing to boot the PC (it's like taking a loaded hard drive out of one PC and putting it into a totally different PC). Using Microsoft's SYSPREP just before ghosting the PC can help, but I've found it doesn't work in all situations.

If your PC's hardware is identical, then it could be that the image became corrupted when being created. Try the process again and see if it doesn't work a second time.

Chris:
Have you tried creating a bootable Ghost Disketter and running setup from this diskette? Another thing you can dois convert the partition from NTFS to FAT or FAT32 then run ghost. You may need something like Partition Magic to do the converting. ANd be aware that FAT partitions are limited to 2 GB in size.

Thanks Guys good advice.Yes there is vast diffrences in the hardware in fact in every item! I wasnt aware that it would shut down. I have ghosted from 98 to 98 with very good results in fact I even created a Image with the hardware removed so on imaging a foreign machine it imideatly on boot detects the new hardware and then continues to boot 98 so I was surprised in 2K not having the same potential. leaves me scratching my head as to the quickest way to migrate to a new machine the idea of converting to FAT 32 is a good alternative but a little bit messy but better than recreating a whole image.
Anyway thanks again.
Chris :->

I don't have the answers here, either. But I have the same problem. I run win2K and I move my hard drives from machine to machine as I move from location to location and employer to employer.

I usually need to reinstall win2K and it can be a hassle.

If anyone knows the best way to go about this thing: moving your OS with your hard drives from machine to machine, I would like to know.

Hi Abrogard
if you find a good solution please email me cooeechris@yahoo.com.au and if you send me your email I will do the same I have a few ideas on resolving the problem. I found Madboot a great prog for loading operating systems check it out.
Chris

I presume your refering to BSOD on boot INNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

heres the fix

On occasion, the user may wish to exchange the mainboard of a computer system running Windows 2000. Unless the replacement is identical to the original, a STOP (Blue Screen) error INACESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE will be observed when attempting to boot the existing disk image on the new board. This is caused by the presence of a mass storage controller on the new board that is incompatible with that on the previous motherboard. In most cases, this scenario will require a re-installation of Windows 2000; however, there are instances where this is not necessary, if the following conditions are met:

The Mass Storage Controller on both the old and new boards are standard onboard ATA/IDE PCI devices, as commonly found on many desktop system boards.

Neither controller uses RAID functionality.

It is still possible to boot Windows 2000 on the previous motherboard.

If these conditions are met, then the user may wish to try the following procedure:

1) Boot the PC system using the existing (previous) motherboard. **If you've installed the UltraATA Driver (if so, Device Manager->IDE Controllers->Primary Channel will be lacking its usual "Advanced Settings" tab) then uninstall said driver from Control Panel and reboot before continuing **

2) From the Device Manager, open up the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section. On a typical system there will be three entries under this - the controller itself, and then the primary/secondary IDE channels.

3) Double-click on the entry for the controller, and change the driver to the generic default Microsoft "Standard Dual-Channel PCI IDE Controller". This is to IDE controllers what the Standard VGA driver is to video cards - i.e., it'll work on just about anything, but is rather slow and basic.

Note: If you're going to change graphics adapters as part of the motherboard change, be sure to change your graphics adapter driver to Standard VGA before you shut down the old motherboard for the last time. Otherwise, the computer will try to use the wrong (old) driver for the new video card when you start up.

4) Now shut down the system, and replace the motherboard as required.

5) If the new IDE controller is compatible with the "Standard Dual-Channel PCI IDE Controller" driver, then the system should boot into Windows 2000. (The "generic" driver is compatible with most IDE controllers out there - albeit at lower performance.)

6) At this point you should install the correct optimized IDE/ATAPI drivers for the controller. (i.e. VIA 4in1 drivers).

good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back