Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Do I trace route in Unix ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayerling

MIS
Feb 9, 2004
US
Hello there,
I have Unix SCO Open server 5.0.4. I got mail not going out, but I would like to test if can I make a trace of any public IP address, to see if my traffic is going out. The default gateway is responding to ping, but since we got a crash on firewall, I do not know if this could have affected the Unix server ? Anybody with any idea ?

man traceroute

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Hello,

The Unix server is not sending traffic out to the Internet, I made a traceroute from the unix and I get all ( * * *) I can not reach any public ip address.

The default route is OK, I can ping it but I can not get out. I can ping the Unix box from the firewall, so the LAN seems to be ok. Anybody Please help

I got it and I wanted to share it with you.

The problem was the firewall, The Unix IP address was excluded from the range allowed to go out, also added SMTP rule from lan to WAN.

Thanks for posting back - it's always good to see a thread brought to a satisfactory resolution with the answer included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back