Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I trace cables without disrupting service? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunanfm

MIS
Nov 2, 2009
US
We need to trace our cables from the receptacle in the wall through the patch panel to the switch port without disrupting network service. We have 4 switches, and all of them are non-managed switches. I call them glorified hubs. How can we get this done?

By the way, buying four new managed switches will be cheaper than that nettool.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

How many ports do you have?

The best solution would be to replace them with managed switches. These will list the MAC address connected to each port along with many other wonderful features.

Something like a Dell 3024 or 3324 are less than $100 each on eBay. A used managed switch is FAR SUPERIOR to a new unmanaged switch.

Disconnect 10 cables at the hub every 10 minutes and see who calls to complain. WhaLa...site map.
Just kidding, I like jimbopalmer's free solution.
By the way, I am certain many of the experts here wanted to say the same as my boob answer but had too much class to do so.
Happy New Year ad omnis.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

"Never settle for a job well done...always look for cost cutting measures

Actually there is a way, and only one way not to disrupt service.
Pick a cable, label it, then run your hand along it until you get to the other end, when you reach the other end, put an identical label there. You shouldn't have to go more than 300' to find the other end. Repeat with different cable and different label until they are all labeled.
Working after hours when noone is there with a cable toner might be an option. Along with unplugging one device at a time when it is not in use by a user and see which light goes out on the hub works too.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back