Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i test motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwfhere

Technical User
Feb 20, 2005
CA
I've installed xp pro with bare minimal hardware installed, i.e. the motherboard/hd/cd rom/mouse/monitor and keyboard and not connected to the net. The o/s installs fine but when i turn on the pc the o/s crashes and the pc reboots, i've tried installing xp pro with 2 other discs and i get the same results. I'm wanting to test the motherboard to see if that's the cause of the problem but don't know how to test it, anyone know how i can test it to see if there's any fault on it?

I don't know of any specific software, but have you tried googling for testing software? The commonest reason for the sort of situation you seem to be in is memory problems.

You could look at this site.

and here for a free memory tester

or

I haver used memtest86 when I had problems (I used the stand alone bootable floppy version) I found it most effective in helping me configure my BIOS correctly (The default settings caused memory errors!)

Software package "checkit" or the more advanced "checkitpro". But haven't used it so can't speak for capabilities.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Yes, it boots in safe mode but i have the same problem as normal mode. I'll try these programs out that you've sugested, cheers :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back