Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I test members in a trunk group 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

defreib

IS-IT--Management
Oct 15, 2003
US
We have a G3r switch. We have a TAC of 801, the type is tie, and it has 207 members. We are going to cut over our 11 T1's to a fiber backbone and I need to be able to test the circuits after the cut. Can someone tell me how I can test a specific member in a trunk group?

Any help is appreciated.

Facility Test Calls

You can use Facility Test Calls to place test calls to specific trunks or phones. Because this feature bypasses the regular system traffic, it is very helpful in finding noisy lines and other problems. However, this feature can be easily misused by outside parties. Disable this feature when you are not using it.

Security Alert:

Whenever you use this feature, enable the feature access code only for the tests you want to make. Be sure to immediately remove the access code when you are through testing because leaving this feature enabled can leave you open to security breaches.

To place a test call to a trunk or touch-tone phone:

1 Using GEDI, enable a feature access code for Facility Test Call.
2 At your phone, dial the feature access code for Facility Test Call. Listen for dial tone.
3 Dial the 6- or 7-digit port address.

That should do it...

Rob

I like to use The verify option. Assign a verify button to your phone. The press verify followed by the tac code followed by the member number. Example Verify 801 1 then dial a test number. This will test the number 1 member in the 801 trunk group. Be aware that some carriers will not allow direct select. This is true for Facility test calls as well. I can use the Verify option with all carriers except Verizon long distance (VSSI). Translate both and use the one that you like the best.

Just another option
ED

1a2 to ip I seen it all

Thanks for the info guys.

Rob: I tried your method, but my port address is "02D1924".
What digit on my phone represents "D" ?

Thanks

Defreib;

The "D" is replaced by the number 4.
In this case you may use the Facility Test Calls code + 0241924.

Helder

Thanks Helder. but I am getting a wave off using that method. Any ideas.

Do following...
1) you need to have digital phone
2) Program a key on it "Verify"
3) PRESS THIS new key (Verify) and you will get dial tone..
4) put the TAC acces code 801 followed by the memeber number ie 001 to 255..
5) Trunk port (member) will be seized and now you can make outbound calls on this..

Viren............

Niether option is working for me. I get a warble tone every time. What am I doing wrong? I would like to use the Verify and the facility test options.

Attitude is everthing.
-Snapper

Snapper,
Your not the only one, I get the wave off also on verify and facility test. I keep getting ACA long calls on my trunks but can't test them because my display says invalid outside call when I try to verify. In your case make sure you have the COR for the phone you are using set to y for facility test calls and see if this works, if not I believe what ED said that some carriers will not allow these tests, I have SBC Ameritech.
Tina

yes i think it has to do with the carrier. I have SBS for most and AT&T for one. It seems work with the At&T trunk but not the SBC. I get a denied on my display, sometimes I get bridged onto active calls. Any Ideas let me know.

Attitude is everthing.
-Snapper

Guys: One thing to check if you are getting turkey tone. You must set dial access to Y on the trunk form for both to work. Sorry for the oversite

Thanks
Ed

1a2 to ip I seen it all

When I try to change the dial acces field to y I get a "cannot have dial access for ISDN trunks with this service type". What is that all about?

Attitude is everthing.
-Snapper

What service type to you have? Mine are set to public network and tie. And It has dial access set to Y.

Thanks
Ed

1a2 to ip I seen it all

Well, in begining, you said your trunk type is tie..and now you are saying its an ISDN..You can verify or faclity test a ISDN trunk...
Suggested way would be block all the cahnnels and then release the channles you want make/test outbound calls...Or you can make a test trunk and remove the trunk member from first trunk and assign to new trunk..If creating a new trunk, make sure your patterm directs to new trunk group..
Best way would be blocking all trunks and release onlt test trunk/member..

cheers

Thanks Ed, changing dial access to y worked for me. Now for dumb question...what does it mean when I do a verify on trunk g 1 member 1 and it says trunk seized? Now what do you do next? I'm the person thats getting a lot of ACA long notification.
Thanks,
Tina

Tina: When you verify Group1 member 1 the display is reading trunk Seized? For grins before you verify the member status the trunk group and see if member one is in service/active. If so status the port addrsss of member one. It should tell you what it's connected to. This might help you find the port that is holding up the member.

Good hunting
ED

1a2 to ip I seen it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back