Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I test for intermittently busy lines/trunks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhallett

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
US
We have an MXe-III running release 6.0 software. I was told of intermittent busy signals on various numbers that normally don't ring busy (they have more than one ringing appearance and, if all are tied up, should roll to voice mail.).

I placed test calls, both internal (calling the extension) and external (calling the entire number), to these numbers and got through easily about 80% of the time. But, I did get busy signals as well. Since the problem occurs randomly and it doesn't matter whether the call is from an internal or external source, I'm not sure what I should look for next.

Any advice is appreciated. And if you want to provide instructions, the more detailed the better.

Respectfully.
Harry Hallett
Telecommunication Systems Technician
The Queen Mary Hotel

Make sure you do not have any features active that could cause issues

Locate Feature extension XXXX

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Could be a bad voice mail port. Call each port and see if they are all working.

kwbMitel: The problem is random and affects phones throughout the system, not only a single extension.

lowradiation: I'll do that. But I'm unclear about how a failed voice mail port would affect internal and external calls to various phones.

Respectfully.
Harry Hallett
The Queen Mary Hotel

A thought occurs to me. Although we have only one site, our system is configured as an Enterprise system with an MXE and 2 AX controllers. Calls are passed between these 3 controllers using steering codes. The MXE has 2 T-1s and one AX has 1 T-1 for our trunking. Is it possible, with the internal and external traffic passing between the controllers, that at any given moment all available pathways between one controller and another might be in use and the next new call receives a busy signal even though the one after it goes through just fine?

Respectfully.
Harry Hallett
The Queen Mary Hotel

If the systems are using "Direct to IP" in the "Route Assignment" form you can look in the "Trunks>IP/XNET>ICP/PBX Networking" form for the max number of VOIP and TDM sessions (calls) between systems. These numbers must be the same for the local and remote system.

SXWizard: 1) Yes, "Direct to IP" is assigned to all 3 PBX number/cluster elements in the "Route Assignment". 2) The max number of VOIP and TDM sessions in "ICP/PBX Networking" is 200 each for all Network Elements.

The online manual says that the max # can be set as high as 2000. If I were to raise the maximum to, say, 500 for all elements, what other things would I need to do? And what possible problems might I cause by doing so?

Respectfully.
Harry Hallett
The Queen Mary Hotel

Regarding not checking for active features on phones.

Some features are conditional and can appear random.

Not eliminating the obvious seems self defeating to me.

Example: COS option: Call Reroute after CFFM to Busy Destination
If your phone is forwarded to another station and that station is busy, this COS option will determine if your call rerouting will invoke or not​

So, the forwarding will appear to operate normally unless the destination is busy at the time the forward takes place.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back