Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I temporarily disable Norton Internet Security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFRPilot

Technical User
Jan 31, 2008
US
I tried to install a certain application and it failed to install. The application requires I disable any virus checker before installing it. I'm running Norton Internet Security. How do I temporarily disable it? I've asked Norton twice, but they respond they are overwhelmed with messages.

Services? I don't see that option.

I see: Run live update; Scan now; View History; Options (nothing there that applies to my question); Subscription.

Then under the Norton Internet Security tab I see: Tasks & Scans; Settings; and Reports & Statistics.

Under none of those do I find an obvious way to temporarily turn off Norton Internet Security.

Several versions back all it took was a click on Norton on the tool bar, then a click on Disable. I find nothing like that now. Norton Help is no help.

IFRpilot, I think lb63640 is referring to SERVICES.MSC that you would "run" from the Start Menu. Find the services that start with "Symantec" or "Norton", and if they are started, choose "Stop the service".

You could also do this from the Processes tab in Windows Task Manager, except you would have to know the file name, like "Rtvscan.exe". Either of these locations will allow you to temporarily stop Norton Internet Security.

Jim

IFRPilot, dataccount is correct in my references to Services.

Hi, I had the same trouble!!!
Go to tasks and settings and then to change advanced settings, there you will see the ticks just untick and click apply and that's it.
It took me a while to work it out.
Hope this works for you.
regards.

Thanks Nibs 1211. I'll try that first chance I get. I saw those you suggested, but I was not sure that would turn off all the functions. An earlier version had just one click for temporarily turning it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back