Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do i telnet to my new switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Connect a serial cable from your PC to the console port on the switch. Access the switch via Hyperterminal or whatever terminal emulator you have available.

From here, you can set the switch's IP address. Once you've done that, you can access the switch via the web interface or via telnet.

Hyperterminal is what Microsoft bundles with Windows as a terminal emulator. If you're running windows, you should already have it installed.

You'll find it under Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Communications.

Another alternative to using the console port on the switch (since you seem to be uncomfortable with terminal emulators) would be set up a reservation for the switch on your DHCP server--I believe HP ships them from the factory set to obtain an IP via DHCP.

I tried hyperterminal and it said empty, then I connect port 1 to my nic card, but cant telnet to the router...
chiorienteer: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\chuck>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : and-wks01
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E6-85-5D-76
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
chiorienteer: DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

C:\Documents and Settings\chuck>telnet 255.255.255.255
Connecting To 255.255.255.255...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23.
The requested address is not valid in its context.

Got any tips?

hi,

i am not sure if you have already solved this, but before you can telnet to the device you need an IP address.

So if you just need to configure the switch you need to get a serial cable and connect it using as mentioned above Hyperterminal.

Make sure you have the correct settings in Hyperterminal, select: you com port, Flow Control: XON/XOFF, Baud rate 9600, Data bit:8, Parity: None, Stop bits:1.

When you connect tap the Enter key multiple times for the switch to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back