Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i submit the contents of a form to a mail client

Status
Not open for further replies.

karu76

Programmer
Dec 14, 2000
SG
Dear all,

I have an online registration form. I am aware that i can add "mailto:xyz@xyz.com" on the onsubmit eventhandler and this will open a new message window, eg outlook mail.

Is it possible to submit the contents of the form as inline text to the message window using javascript???

Please help as this would same the trouble of using perl scripts or java..

Thank you

I don't know if this would help you but in your form declaration enter the following:
<form name=&quot;name&quot; action=&quot;mailto:emailadress@email.com&quot; method=&quot;post&quot; entype=&quot;text/plain&quot;>
form contents
<input type=&quot;submit&quot; value=&quot;submit&quot;>
</form>

This will email the contents of the form to the email address you specify in plain text.

Thank you godzawilla....it does work but the output is an attachment with the following contents..

output:
textfieldName=myname&btn=Submit+Query

i have a single text field and a submit button..and it automatically sends a mail upon clicking the sumit button..

If you any other suggestion i would welcome...meanwhile thanks to you.

hi there,

have you thought about using a third party cgi app? ie. i have a website that has a form that i wanted submitted via email and i too tried the mailto:... and i also recievied attachments that were very difficult to decypher.

my website is hosted with my isp account so the chances of using cgi i thought were impossible but then i realised that the isp provided a limited number of cgi scripts to be used by anyone with an account with them, one of these cgi scripts was a FormEmailer, i now use this no problem at all and get much prettier, easier to read emails :)

i've since found that most isps provide a similar service see if yours does or open an account with the likes of BTOpenWorld for example who offer these cgi scripts and use theirs, and by the way even though you are using their scripts you don't have to have your page hosted with them just follow the instructions they give but tailor them to your own needs.

hope that helps or at the very least you can understand what i'm trying to say, if not let me know and i'll try to clarify a few points

Regards,
Waylon

No problems that was a clear advice... thank you Waylon. I will look into this option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back