Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i start the server in sdk1.2, the read me file doesn't help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra

Technical User
May 15, 2000
US
Hey <br>I am trying to start the server but i couldn't cause i can't find the file default.cfg and startserver.bat. none of the i can see.<br>Please help me <br>thanks

Dear cobra,<br><br>Are you refering to the Java Web Server? If so which version?<br><br>-pete

Hi palbano<br><br>I&nbsp;&nbsp;have java web server and also downloaded jsdk1.3 that's where the problem is. I don't know how to set the path for them and how to connect them together.Although i have placed the servlet.jar, jspengine.jar,webserver.jar and xml.jar in the <br><br>c:\jdk1.3\jre\lib\ext<br><br>and also i don't know what to add in the autoexec.bat file to set the path.I also have problems with jigsawserver.<br><br>thanks alot <br>cobra

ohhh i forget<br>the webserver is 1.0.1

Cobra..this is the path in my autoexec..for jdk1.3<br>dont know if it would help<br>SET PATH=.;c:\jdk1.3\bin;%PATH%<br>set classpath=c:\jdk1.3\lib;.;c:\CoreJavaBook<br>

Dear Corba,<br><br>The startserver.bat file should be in the root folder you installed the JSWDK into.<br><br>What is the file default.cfg that you are looking for? I don't find any mention of that file in the JSWDK documentation.<br><br>-pete

Hello everyone this is going to sound REAL stupid. I just downloaded SDK for windows and installed 1.2 and it sure put a lot of stuff on my hd but there doesn't seem to be any simple minded litle meta app that hooks them all together, lets me input java source files and run them. I do have PWS installed if that means anything.

I KNOW how to program but I don't know what I have to do to punch in the &quot;hello world&quot; program and get it to work. Specifically, I don't know where or how to input the program. I found a thing called &quot;java&quot; in fact I think I have several copies of it here and there. It puts up a little DOS-like screen then disappears before I can read the error messages it has. So I gather it's either not a Windows app or it's meant as a component of something bigger.

1. Is there anything else I have to have if so what and where?
2. What EXACTLY do I have to do to hook everything together. I could try things all night and I would never discover the magic file, so I thought it best to ask. At the top level it put this Console thing in my program menu with a few things you can set and a few spaces for pathnames but I have no idea what any of it is talking about. Do I have to go into MS-DOS to use this or is there some windows thing I can use. If so what is it, where would it be or where would I get it?
3. Please tell me STEP by STEP what I have to do and assume nothing excep that I have the SDK installed.
4. I posted to this thread because my question seems similar to the original posting but even more basic, and the answers here don't answer me.

Thank you. I am not stupid, just ignorant at this point and hoping to remedy the situation ASAP. :)

Ok, the jdk is NOT and IDE (integrated development environment). It is a toolkit which includes such things as a JVM (invoked with &quot;java.exe&quot;) and a compiler (javac.exe).

To write a helloworld program you need to create a file using notepad or another text editor and save it as a .java file. For instance, here is a Helloworld program

<<File: Helloworld.java>>
public class Helloworld {
public static void main (String args []) {
System.out.println(&quot;Helloworld!&quot;);
}
}
<<endFile: Helloworld.java>>

To compile, I type 'javac Helloworld.java'
To run, I type 'java Helloworld'

Any more q's, lemme know...

meadandale@yahoo.com

Charles