Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Do I... Split Networks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSeriesCodePoet

Programmer
Jan 11, 2001
US
Hello all,

My dad is getting DSL soon and wants to be able to split the internet to his computers and to the appartment he rents out downstairs. He wants them to be able to access the internet but not access his network and vise versa. I know Linux can do this, my question is where do I find good documentation on how I do this?

What I know I need:
A PC (any speed)
3 NICs
A linux distro (I plan on Slackware or Debian)

Any help would be appreciated,

iSeriesCodePoet
iSeries Programmer/Lawson Software Administrator
[pc2]
See my progress to converting to linux. The Programmer's Knowledge Base ->

It's not great documentation, but it should do the trick...hey, it's free...so you can't complain.

How to setup DHCP server, check this out

To enable your Linux to become a router

If you want a prebuild router, then try this site.

Make your router divide the incoming DSL into two subnet and prevent them from seeing each other

G.L.

T.K.

Hi:

Mandrake's single network firewall or Mandrake's multi network firewall even better.
Or

Try smoothwall or Clarkconnect, both are linux based.
I dont know where to download them. Just do net search for them.

Steve

Why the overkill? Instead of installing a new linux machine with tripple interfaces, and configuring it as a firewall, why not purchase cheaper DSL router? Or possibly even a small Cisco PIx router. Comes with GUI and everything to set up.

Just as a suggestion...

~Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back