Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I show client hostname on its desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben79

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2006
SE
Hi

I am sure that this will work somehow (seen it on my doctor's computer hehe). But I have been searching for a while now on Google as well on this forum, but not been able to find any solution for this.

I want to have either a GPO or some reg fix to have all my clients XP/2000/Vista clients to show their Hostname on their desktop or more information if possible.

Anyone know how to do that? =)

Ben

download bginfo by sysinternals/microsoft, it should do what u want

Hi and thank you for your post.
Great program there.
However before I start to mess with this bginfo program, I have one more question.

Atm I use a GPO that sets clients desktop (a JPG file from my server) as well as having active desktop disabled. Clients can not change these setting (obviously).
So will BGINFO work with these settings or do I need to change the GPO and allow clients to change their wallpaper?

Regards

Ben

Cool I'll check this next time at work.
I also noticed that their bginfo forum has 30+ pages =).
So there will be some reading in this matter hehe.

Thank you for your help!

Regards

Ben

This will put the "Computername" in place of My Computer and also put it at the top of the Windows Security box when you hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and you will see it easily when going to logon.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"Welcome"=" - %computername%"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}]
@="My Computer"

"LocalizedString"=hex(2):25,00,43,00,4f,00,4d,00,50,00,55,00,54,00,45,00,52,00,\
4e,00,41,00,4d,00,45,00,25,00,00,00

***Backup Registry first for testing this Logon Script***

Hi and thank you all for your posts.
Now I have some solutions to try out it seems.

Regards

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back