Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I setup Terminal Services (Client & Server)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickdrd

Programmer
Nov 21, 2003
GR
Hi to all!

I saw the amazing capabilities of Terminal Services recently and I want to setup them on my local network (Win 2000 Server).

Will I be able to access the server from a Windows XP / Windows 2000 (Prof/Server) pc?
Do they both have the Remote Desktop app?

Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial?

Thanks in advance!

Windows 2000 comes with TS capabilities built in and they can be turned on for Remote Administration anytime. Once turned on, you can use Remote Desktop Connection (Start->Programs->Accessories->Communications) to connect to the server. If you are using something other than XP, you can do a search on the MS site for Remote Desktop Client to get a client for your OS.

Now, that is just for remote admin of a server. If you want to enable full application mode and let non-admin users log in, you will have to purchase licensing for that use. Once you have licenses, and they have been added to your server, you will not have to do much for clients to connect, just the above mentioned client.

yeah you will be able to access your server from winxp using remote desktop, as long as the Terminal Services componet is installed on your server, just put in the ip of your server or the hostname and connect.

The following website has the info you are looking for.

cheers.gif

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back