Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Do I Setup Lotus R5 Client for Multiple Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

noviceitpro

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2001
US
I want to setup win98,98,nt workstations for multiple users. How? When I successfully setup the initial user and switch to a differant ID file I get a doc link error. Thanks in advance for any help!

I do it this way:

Setup user no.1 on workstation

DON'T start the client!!!

COPY the data-directory AND notes.ini (from program dir) to another directory. One directory for each separat user.

TIP! If you are using Windows NT you can create a user profile with a drive letter (for example: "N" - for Notes : - ) ) pointing to a users Notes data dir. Then each user can log on the workstation as "username" and the data dir for Notes will be the same dir for each user!

Then make a short-cut for starting Notes as follows:

example:

Notes client program in dir: "e:\lotus\notes\"
Notes client data dir: "N:\lotus\notes"
Notes.ini for user in dir: "N:\lotus\notes"
Shortcut: "e:\lotus\notes\notes.exe =N:\lotus\notes\notes.ini"

You will have to make a shortcut for each user pointing to that users client data dir/notes.ini dir. (If you use the "profile approach" you can use the same shortcut for all users!)

Now start the Notes client for each user and complete the Notes-setup.

You are now ready to go!

There are of course other ways to do this. But this I think is the safest way. It's all from memory - so I hope I remembered correctly.

Regards,
Lars

The easiest way to do this is to setup multiple location documents within the local names.nsf file. Have the docs switch to the proper ID when they are selected. You can create multiple tabs on the workspace, label one as "default" or somesuch and give each user their own tab for mail files, etc. Any db's that need to be shared (names.nsf, etc.) go on the default tab.
Set the client preferences to prompt for location upon startup.

Extend this if you want due to names.nsf locally.

Normally the best way around this is to have login scripts map to users network drive where their ID file & names.nsf are, change user preferences to be something like n:\names.nsf for mail file and location document to say in the advanced tab, look to n:\user.id

Then you can have either of the previous options and all users get their own address book.

Downside to this is File Tools Switch ID isn't gonna work properly...

McElvis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back