Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I setup failover routing with a cisco 800 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleonhardt

Technical User
May 12, 2003
GB
Hi,
I have following problem :

1 CISCO 800 Router
1 WG-SOHO with T-DSL

Now, if the WG-SOHO / DSL-Line fail's, all traffic should be routed through the CISCO 800's bri-Interface. The default GW will be the CISCO 800 - what do I have to do ?

Thank's !
Bruno

You have to implement HSRP between the two routers, making the ADSL router the active one. When your ADSL line will fail, the ISDN router will become the active one.

For info on how to configure this, check the Cisco site with HSRP as keyword.

Regards.

I would say the best path to go would be to make the 800 your default gateway. Create a Dial Backup:

Backup interface (bri0 or dialer0)
Backup delay xxx yyy

xxx= amount of time in seconds to wait before activating the backup interface.

yyy= amount of time in seconds to wait to place the backup interface in standby mode after the primary interface becomes active again.

backup load xxx yyy (can be used to create a usage threshold)

xxx= amount of load to be exceeded to trigger interface to active

yyy= amount of load to be attained to deactivate interface and place back into standby mode

Hi,
but how do I declare Dialer1 as backup dialer ?

HSRP:
Isn't HSRP only possible with cisco-routers ?
Maybe I didn't understand the concept :

10.1.1.1 10.1.1.2
---CISCO----SOHO----|----
|
PC (gw:10.1.1.1)

So, now if a packet is transmitted to 10.1.1.1 it should be routed to 10.1.1.2 to be processed, right ? If the DSL-Line of the SOHO breaks, it will be routed by 10.1.1.1 right ?

So, I'm reading the hsrpguide downloaded from cisco but it's described very awkward.

Maybe any of you can explain me the hsrp and what I have to do / to configure at the cisco ?

Thanks very much!

Hi once again - here a network-example :

PC
|
----CISCO-----SOHO-----
\ ISDN DSL

Now, if a packet comes from PC to the CISCO, the CISCO shall route this to the SOHO. If the DSL-Line of the SOHO breaks, the CISCO shall call an ISP and route the packet through Dialer1.

If you use the commands I described above on the 800 series and create the dialer or bri0 interface as a backup it will work.

PC
|
----CISCO-----SOHO
\ ISDN DSL

I would have the 800 linked directly to the soho device, use backup interface command. As well as backup delay command. This way if the route from the soho device becomes down or congested the isdn line will pick up.

Here try looking at this cisco site area:

Hi,
do I need any special images to do so ?

-bruno-

Have tried to define BRI0 as Backup , but my box don't know this command - what image do I need ?

I've already read this, but didn't work - actually I have IOS 12.0(7)T onto the CISCO800.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back