Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do I setup email in IIS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidro

MIS
Sep 28, 2002
US
HI,
I just installed my IIS on windows xp pro and how do I send and receive emails? Im new to this IIS. Can you give a step by step instruction and kindly explain to me how it works? Thankx a million!

You do not use IIS to send and receive email, you use it to serve web pages. If you want to send and receive email, use Outlook or Outlook Express.

SErbastic, he's asking how to setup an email server on IIS so he send/receive email. NOT A CLIENT to send/receive email.

He's asking how to set up a POP3/smtp server on IIS.

Something I would like to know as well.

Again, you do not use IIS to send/receive email. IIS is neither a POP3, nor an smtp server. For this, you must use Exchange.

Hmm..
In IIS theres a component call SMTP. What is that use for?
Anyone know?

My mistake. After doing some reading, I see that you can setup IIS as an SMTP server, which you can email enable a webpage so that you can send an email directly from a web page hosted on that IIS server.

You cannot configure it as a POP3 server, meaning that you can't configure user mailboxes, as you would with an Exchange server.

Hi gang this question is a very good question, which I also would like to know the answer to, I wish someone could write a FAQ on this as I'm sure this is one question that would be helpful to many. If anyone knows the answer to this I know your contribution will help many users.

An SMTP listener can be configured to send and receive e-mail. In a typical Microsoft Environment, Exchange Server is usually used to accomplish this, though, and it is rarely located on the same server that serves as "the Web server."

To verify that your SMTP listener is working, you can send it some mail using telnet to port 25. telnet localhost 25 should do the trick.

The conversation protocol goes typically as follows:
EHLO (or HELO)
MAIL FROM: (valid e-mail address)
RCPT TO: (valid e-mail address)
DATA
To: (e-mail)
Subj: (subject)
Body of e-mail
. (type a period)
(press enter a couple times)
Quit

That will queue a message for delivery using SMTP. If you want to use Outlook or Outlook Express to connect to your server, you probably want to configure POP3.

However, with a simple SMTP listener and some readily-available ASP code, you can have a basic e-mail service up and running very quickly, cheaply and easily. Read up on "open relay" before attempting this.

Here's some detailed info:
Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back