Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I setup a bar coding system 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

amathis

Technical User
Dec 31, 2000
US
I am new at this.. so keep it simple for me.. I have a small warehouse at work and I am creating a database system for the parts. The parts currently have manual tags. I would like to be able to add barcodes and update my database system. So,I would like to move forward with purchasing a bar code system and then add it to my warehouse database system. How do I get started??? What hardware would you recommend then how would I modified my database to accept barcodes..

Thanks,
Allan

There is a frequent poster to the Microsoft: Access - Genereal discussion forum named DougP that has a by line that mentions bar coding. Do a search for him and then send him an email. He should be able to point you in the right direction.

Terry M. Hoey
th3856@txmail.sbc.com

Ever notice that by the time that you realize that you ran a truncate script on the wrong instance, it is too late to stop it?

It is very easy to integrate barcodes in Access if you use a standard code like code38.

All you need is a barcode-font (free on the internet) for your reports and a scanner.
The scanner should be plugged in between computer and keyboard.
Configure the scanner so that it sends a "TAB" or "ENTER" after reading.
Then you set the focus on the field (comboBox is best choice)containing the information that is coded in the bar code and you read the barcode with the scanner.

The AfterUpdate-Event of the ComboBox should display the correct information on your screen.

Thats all.

To Francescina ...

What did you mean " ... for your reports and a scanner"?

Did you mean an ordinary scanner or a barcode scanner?

Thanks for your reply/ies.

Regards,

PowerfulStar

PowerfulStar,

What this means is that you need a bar-code reader and a text box on your reports with the font formatted to font Code38 that can be read by the reader.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back