Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I set up Notes mail at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

akbryer

Programmer
Mar 25, 1999
US
Visit site
Is it possible to set up my home pc with Notes mail. Can I set up my home pc as a server and client?

I have setup my home pc with Notes R5 (no server). It allows me to work entirely on my &quot;Local&quot; 'server'. I use it to create databases, and play with their manipulations. I do not use the mail feature of it, however.<br>
<br>
Besides, if you set up your pc as server and client, who would you 'mail' to anyway?<br>
<br>
All that aside, it should be possible; since our servers in the office that are really Domino servers *also* have the client installed on them; and we use the client side for various purposes.<br>

RitaDC3,<br>
<br>
Thanks for the reply. I have r4.5 set up on my home pc, but I was kind of hoping that I'd be able to make use of Notes mail. I know that if I dial into work I could make use of Notes mail, but i don't want to do that. So, I was hoping that I could set up mail at home. But, alas, I will have to suffer with AOL mail.<br>
<br>
Thanks again. <p>Gary (akbryer)<br><a href=mailto:Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com>Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

You could try FREEI.NET . It's a free ISP. I just sent away for the CD (but I also use AOL - I have 4 family members sharing the AOL, so I need to keep it.)<br>
<br>
- Rita.

RitaDC3, I am going to check FREEI.Net. I don't know if you are aware, but WorldSpy.com will be offering Free Internet Service, WITHOUT the advertising bar. You can pre-register now; service is scheduled to begin around 10/15/99.<br>
<br>
Thanks for the information.<br>
<br>
<p>Gary (akbryer)<br><a href=mailto:Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com>Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

You can install Domino server and Notes Client at the same machine (seperate Directory) but if you are installing older version than R5, remember to move the Notes.INI from Windows directory (if you use Windows OS) to Notes directory after each installation (Domino installation and Notes Client Installation) otherwise your second installation will overwrite the first one.. <br>
<br>
After that proceed with Domino setup as usual and named your domino as you like.. Afterwards you have to add a HOSTS file in your OS to point to &quot;LocalHost&quot;... so if your Domino server is &quot;AcmeServer/Acme&quot; then you should have &quot;LocalHost AcmeServer/Acme&quot; on your HOSTS file.. then setup your Notes Client when it ask for Domino server's name . enter AcmeServer/Acme... it will work just okay.. I have tried it once with Notes 4.6... to give presentation on how domino works.. since no Network is available.. and I don't want to carry 2 CPUs.. and the management is too cheap to bought us a notebook!!!!.. <p>Eas Kwok<br><a href=mailto:eas@fnmail.com>eas@fnmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Eas Kwok,<br>
<br>
Thanks so much.<br>
<br>
<p>Gary (akbryer)<br><a href=mailto:Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com>Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I don't see why you would not be able to use Domino server and client on your home network and use the mail features outside on the internet. But, if you want people to email you back you would need to keep a dedicated connection to the internet. I only know R5 but it seems possible to me.<br>
<br>

Eas Kwok:

Is there a &quot;HOSTS&quot; file for Windows 2000 Server?

hstan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back