Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I set up a mailbox for wrong addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garty

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2001
GB
I am a newcommer to Exchange, I know this can be done but cannot find out how.

I want to set up exchange 5.5 so that if an email is sent to a user that does not exist, or has left, it is directed into the administrators mailbox (or a special mailbox - say Leavers, etc). I also want exchange to send out the usual "recipient not found" message.

How can I do this? Your valued advice is welcomed...

Garty

Well, you could specify an alternate recipient for "old" users to be redirected to administrator but for addresses that don't exist...I would have thought that a lookup on the Global Address Book would always fail and respond accordingly.

TheOtherKiwi,
Thanks for the "redirect" part, that I can understand and implement without a problem.

However the second part you refer to the GAL. This would stop internal mailers from getting wrong names, but I want to trap those coming in from outside. Where I used to work, the administrator used to forward external mail to me where the person had spelt my name wrong. Those are the emails I want to target.

Once again your advice is welcomed.

Has anyone else got any suggestions on this?

I don't know if what your asking something you want done other then IMS already does or something done internally. In IMS you can specify from the administrator's mailbox notifications sent for non-delivery reports such as email address could not be found, destination host not found and so on. Then you could set up a simple rule to target any email to forward misspelled names to a mailbox. Although the mailbox holder would still receive a undelivered report with timeout tweaked out by you.

Hope this helps.

You can do as above mentioned. Have new mail directed to the supervisors mail box for persons who has left the company.

The other option you mentioned doesnt make any sense. Why would you want mail to a box that "doesnt" exist redirected to a supervisor. That means ANY mail mistyped, or wrong addresses to your company would be redirected. Mailboxes that dont exist? Is that what you mean to say?

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been on holiday.

The second part - redirecting mail for mailboxes that do not exist- is required as follows...

My surname is Lawrence. The number of people that try and send an email to garty.laUrence@... or even gaRRty.lawrence@.. etc is unbelieveable.

This is what I want to pick up on when someone has mistyped someones name.

MEZAIM, what ruling could you put in for misspelled names? These are to target inbound emails.

Thanks in advance.

You could specify yourself as the administrator mailbox.
However, I just use the Rules Wizard to forward all messages received by administrator to my mailbox. That way is shows it is comming from administrator.
Dan

You can specify which mailbox the failures should go to - specify your own.

Then for any regular mispellings for other people (i.e. not you) you can create server side rules...

My real email address is tarquin.aloysuis.hoity-toitty-the_third@somewhere_complicated.com B-)

Thanks to everyone for your help. I have now implemented all that I set out to do.

The solution was available in Exchange all the time but Microsoft's help is not very "novice friendly". You need to know what to do to ask help the right questions, but f you are a novice then your questions will not get any sensible response.

I am so pleased that I found this forum as everyone is so helpfull and polite. In other forums, the "experts" usually "put down" the in-experanced but that does not happen here.

This is going to be mm first place of call for any technical issue I have.

Thanks again to TheOtherKiwi, Mezaim, Kjonnnnn, Dan and Zelandakh.

That is what we are here for - Tek-Tips is designed for this very purpose.

One day one of my problems will be solved by you and then we both gained...

I know this has been solved but I know an Administrator (and no it's not me :) who used to set up his users with lots of alternate e-mail address for each spelling of a name he could think of.

Not the most efficient way to do it .... but it works. :)

Garty, I know you have solved this problem, would you be so kind as to tell me how as 2-3 people in my company have asked me to look into this and like you back them I am a relative novice now.

If you don't remember how to set it up maybe you remember what question you asked the help function I can figure it out from there.

Cheers

On this same vein, is it normal to receive mail for users no longer on the GAL - and why? These persons are no longer with the company. Is is possible to set up an automatic response to these e-mails, in an effort to make them stop coming?
Your thoughts, please.
Thanks bunches!

Garty,

Please post your solution, I have been trying to find a 'nice' solution to past employees for a while. Chris

It worked yesterday.
It doesn't work today.
That's Windows!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back