Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I set the clock perm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soupnazi

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2001
US
Hello,

I need to know how to set the clock on a Cisco router, running IOS 12.1(3). I've tried the 'clock set hh:mm:ss DD MONTH YEAR' but it keeps resetting whenever I reboot the router. Is there any way to make these changes to the date and time perm?? I'm sure there is, but I can't figure it out. I've tried doing the 'copy running-config startup-config' but that didn't work.

Thanks! -soupnazi-
"No soup for you!"

try this command :

calendar set hh:mm:ss day month year

The calendar maintains time separately from the system clock. It continues to run when the system is restarted or power is turned off. Typically, it only needs to be manually set once, when the system is first installed.

Regards .

Hi.
Try to use calendar set hh:mm:ss day month year'. It's described in CD docs, but I don't have this command in my IOS, so haven't test it.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I do not have 'calendar' command... Any other ideas? -soupnazi-
"No soup for you!"

Hi.
Use NTP.
ntp clock-period 17180311
ntp server <timeserver ip>

Again, I do not have 'ntp' as on option. I am running a Cisco 800 series router with IOS Version 12.1(3)XG2. Thanks! -soupnazi-
&quot;No soup for you!&quot;

Yes, I did 'enable' then 'config term' then tried 'cal?' and 'nt?' but nothing shows ups... Invalid commands... Any other ideas? -soupnazi-

I found the answer!! If anyone is interested, here it is...

&quot;Cisco 800 Series Router Clock — CSCdp09409
To run IPSec successfully, the Cisco 800 series router clock needs to be set accurately. Cisco 800 series router clocks are set and maintained using Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP). For best results, set up a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server to periodically send time information messages to Cisco 800 series routers. See the SNTP configuration and command reference documentation for configuration instructions. If you do not have an NTP server, you must reset the Cisco 800 series router clock using the clock set command each time you restart the router.&quot;
-soupnazi-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back