Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I set NT4 Home directory security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyadmin

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2002
US
I have a NT4 domain. Until now we have created individual shares for each user on our server. We are looking ot automate the home directory creation by using the option in User Manager for Domains. It is there that I select:
Use L: for "\\txserver\users\%username%". When I do this NT creates the directory for me and automatically assigns full access security to the user. My problem is that I need to have administrators added to this folder when it is created. Does anyone know of a registry hack or and automated way to have NT add administrators to the NTFS security when a users home folder is created?

Thanks,
Kai

If all the user's folders are in \\txserver\users, can't you just go to security tab for that folder when you've finished setting up user(s) and set permissions on it for Administrators - to be applied to all subfolders?

What if you set the parent directory 'users' to propogate inheritence? When the directory is created it may inherit the domain admins group in the permissions, as well as add the new user.
I don't have time to test the theory, but it may work...
no time to test, but time to browse the internet....hmmmmm.
[tongue] ________________________________________
Check out

wolluf, I had thought about that, but we are trying to automate the process so changing the permissions will not always be an available option.

Thanks SgtB, but I cannot set that option because we are using a NT4 file server and that option is not avail.

I was hoping there might be a registry setting that controls how these permissions are set when a new user is created.

Well, you can always piece together your own batch file that adds users, creates directories, and sets shares and permissions based on user input (input being username, home directory server, etc)
I actually played around with that for a bit. Works alright. You just need some resource kit commands like addusers.exe, rmtshare.exe, xcacls.exe.
Its pretty easy to do. ________________________________________
Check out

Thanks for the help SgtB, that may be my only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back