Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Do I Set Exchange Server 5.5 Internet Mail Service to use DNS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2005
US
Can anyone help me?
I am using Exchange 5.5 with internet mail service and up until now I have used ETRN to retrieve and send our email. But I just upgraded our network with a broadband (fractional T1) internet access and now I want to change our email service to use DNS to send and receive email through exchange. So far I have been able to get email to send using DNS instead of ETRN but I cannot receive email. Either it is not getting to exchange server or exchange server is not accepting it. Can anyone tell me what settings I need to have to set up Exchange and the IMS to send/receive email using DNS?
Thanks ;)

right click the IMS connector then properties and then one of the tabs under there lets you choose which delivery you want

Boogus,
1st, what is ETRN?
2nd, is your mx record for your mail domain pointing at your mail server or firewall that's forwarding port 25 to your mail server?

You don't need to do anything special to get IMS to receive SMTP mail, but you do need to be sure that mail inbound to your domain is aimed at it.

ImWoody

where are your MX records pointing to. if you have just upgarded they may be pointing to a different ISP/IP address

Our MX records point to the ip address of our router with port 25 being open on the router. Within the router, that ip address is mapped to the ip address of our exchange server.

But for some reason when the email gets to the exchange server, it is refused. (Error 550-cannot relay). I am trying to switch from sending and receiving email via SBSETRN.exe to sending and receiving using DNS. It just seems that there is some setting on my exchange server that I don't have correct which is refusing mail. Like I said, we can send mail using DNS but not receive it. So if anyone here has Internet Mail Service and Exchange set up to use DNS, maybe you can help me out by letting me know what setting work for you.

Thanks, Eric

Eric,
ok, I wasn't familiar with ETRN because I started using Exchange at 5.5. By that time ETRN was already integrated in to the IMS.

Speaking of IMS...
Go to the routing tab in the Internet Mail Service Properties window. Is your local e-mail domain listed and set route inbound?

ImWoody

ImWoody,
Thanks.... yes I do have the local e-mail domain listed and set route to inbound on the routing tab in the Internet Mail Service Properties window.

I am thinking that maybe there are some other settings in exchange server or IMS that I don't have correct. Or possibly the email isn't getting through our router.

I am using MS Small Business Server and I used to handle DHCP using the DHCP server built into SBS. But then I was supplied with a T1 "adtran" router from our ISP and switched to having DHCP handled by that external router. Maybe I should try bypassing the router renabling DHCP on the server and having the mail come directly to exchange server.

Boogus,
DHCP ahouldn't have anything to do with this provided your SBS has a static address.

what is the IP addressof your router. I'll try and telnet to port 25 of it and see if your mail server responds.

ImWoody

Woody
The router ip is 69.177.147.121

I know that DHCP has nothing to do with this. I was just mentioning it because I am trying to switch from send/rec email through a dial up connection (ETRN) to send/rec email through a broadband router. Routing the SMTP mail through the router to the exchange server requires a few more steps to make sure the mail reaches the exchange server. So I'm not sure if those setting are correct yet.

Thanks, Eric

Boogus,
no reply to attempt to telnet to 69.177.147.121 on port 25. Also, your DNS provider shows three MX pointer records for your domain.

stevenscompanyinc.com MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = extranet.spellnet.com
stevenscompanyinc.com MX preference = 70, mail exchanger = smtp-relay.swbell.net
stevenscompanyinc.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.stevenscompanyinc.com

So with the server at mail.stevenscompanyinc.com not accepting connections on port 25, your mail is attempting to be delievered to extranet.spellnet.com and then smtp-relay.swbell.net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back