Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I save all sent mail (not linking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersix

MIS
Jun 14, 2001
US
I have a number of users that want to keep a copy of all their sent mail. Is there a way to get this to work through rules?

There should be a folder for each user called Sent Items which should have all the items sent by that user. Joshua Rothschild
j.rothschild@dynamode.com

Sorry I wasn't more detailed on my original question. What the person is trying to do is copy all of his sent messages into a folder he created and then archive them. Our system is set to delete sent items out of the users mailbox after a specified period of time, and he wants to make certain he doesn't lose any sent items.

I was thinking if they was a rule that could copy the user on all mail sent, then another to move all mail received from himself into a folder that would just leave him with the need to archive the folder every week. I just haven't found the copy user option in the rules menus.

Thanks for the suggestion given dynamode but that wouldn't solve this particular problem.

This can be accomplished by the user sending a blind copy to themselves and then setting up a rule to move the file when the blind copy arrives at their mailbox. To set up the rule, goto tools and then rules. Give the rule a name. Mark only the option for received. The item type should be set to mail or mark other items if desired. Click on the "Define Conditions" button. The first box needs to be set to "Bc" in order to have it look at the blind copy box. The second box should be their name as it appears when they enter their name in the blind copy box. Save the condition. Next, add an action. The action that you want to select is the "Move to Folder" action. When you select this option you will be given a list of folders to choose from. Select the folder that you want the arriving blind copy to be moved to. Save the rule and enable and run it. The next time they send a blind copy to themselves, it will automatically be moved to the folder that they designated in the rule.

Hope this helps!

Thanks I had that part of the setup already figured out. What I really am trying to do is make the whole process invisible to the user once setup. He doesn't want to have to remember to blind copy himself every time. It makes things difficult, since I haven't see any section in the rules menu for copying another user in any form.

I appreciate the reply as always. My user may just have to get in the habit of blind copying himself as you suggested if he wants this setup to work.

Thanks again,

flyersix

Create a rule in Groupwise when event is new item sent. Add a condition for item type mail. Under define conditions, select subject does not contain "xxyyxxyy" (or something like that. Under action, select delegate and put in your own address. Each time you send a message, you should get a copy of the message in your inbox. You could then create another rule to copy messages from yourself into the folder you want.

Thanks rjs that seems to have worked sort of. The delegate rule works great. My situation now is that the only options I have are to move or link the message I receive from myself. The move still shows up as a link in the folder I move the message to. That means if I delete the original message from the inbox the link is auto-deleted as well. The odd thing I have seen is if I archive the link message from the folder and then delete the original message from the inbox normal view, I lose the link message in normal view but retain it in the archive (still showing as a link).

At least it worked. I can give the user this as an option.

Thanks again,

flyersix

I have rules that move messages from my inbox to folders which moves the message - the message no longer shows in my inbox at all, only in the folder I've moved it to so I'm not sure why yours would show still be showing in your inbox.

I have set my options to auto-archive after 160 days. This way, all my mail is archived to the network, including sent mail. No rules, no nothing...easy..

Go to Tools|Rules|Environment and then to the Cleanup Tab. Select Mail and Phone and how many days you want it to auto-archive.

This is what we train our users to do so that they lose nothing when everything wipes at 180 days on the server.

I also use the Auto Archive and it works like a charm.
However, it does not archive shared folders.
This could be an issue if your users have multiple shared folders.

If you click on the view discussion threads toolbar it will show all the sent and recieved items. If you drag the sent item to a folder it will MOVE the link. So if the user deletes all the sent items the one thats in the folder will remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back