Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I Retieve SQL Data in Frontpage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hap007

MIS
Mar 21, 2003
US
Hi,

I am relatively new to FrontPage. I was able to create a basic web site, but now I have a client that needs a task that I just do not know how to start.

Problem, to pass an integer value (key) to a query that retieves and finally display the query results.

Some Facts:
1) Database is MS SQL, and I would be connecting using ODBC.
2) Need to Pass User Log on ID, password, query name and key
3) Need to display query results.

Any advice, pointers or online documentation in getting me started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hap

Access Developer [pc] Access based Add-on Solutions
Access Consultants forum

Have you ever used ASP? You can do all of this in a very flexible manner w/ ASP and ADO. Otherwise I think there are data wizards in frontpage for this sort of thing... but they spit out yucky template stuff that I don't believe you can customize much.

Elijah

I have found the database interface wizard works well to establish the connection and give you the base code you need. You CAN go in and edit it from there to make it fit your needs.

For instance I pull data from an access database. I used FrontPage to give me the base code then edit that code to tweak the SQL query in ways that Frontpage does not understand. I also copied that code all into one of my own pages so I could format it all the way I wanted etc.

If you want to see it in action take a look at my site I am doing it in which is for my homeowners association. The announcements and events are all pulled from an access database and the guestbook writes to one.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Well who knew. Sounds like that would probably work just swell for you, Hap. I just write it from scratch. I like understanding every line; makes debugging way easier.

Elijah

Mark and Elijah

I thank both of you for your replies.

I posted this several weeks ago and have since figured out a work around.

I needed to use HTML, because my client wanted that.
So, I used VBScript and ADO to talk to the database.
I used the FormObject to pass values between HTML and VBScrit

Here is a pointer that shows many connection strings.

Here is a link that shows an example for retrieving data.

and this:

I post this info in case someone else needs a similar function.

So, I added it all up, and now my client is happy.
Thanks Again,
Hap...

Access Developer [pc] Access based Add-on Solutions
Access Consultants forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back