Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I restore the Standby Option 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Once I had put my comp on Standby mode and comp went into [not responding] state. Had to restart and a messgae came up that last time when you put your computer on standby mode the computer stopped responding and asked "do u want to stop ur comp from going in standby again"(this is a rough recall. Can't remember exact words)I clicked yes and so there is now no standby option when i go to shut down.

Could anyone please direct me. Displays-->Screensaver-->Setiings: There is no option to suspend or anything as well..

Have you checked the 'power management' applet in control panel?

Count your blessings. I have had several problems with standby and computers acting weird/not responding after it went into standby mode. Why on earth would you want it back, especially if you've experienced problems with it before. There should be power saving features you can choose either via power management in control panel, or using the display properties menu if you would like to save wear and tear on your system components.

power management was originally written to save batteries in lap tops. i spend most of my time turning it off completely. it does not work well. just turn off the monitor and reboot when u return to use it.

my 2 cents

X-)

Turning off and onh again takes some time. I prefer having the computer and standby. That incident happened with me just once.

let us know what happens.

and you should know that windows must be rebooted, how often depends on use, etc.
if it isnt, it will use all the resources and run like molasses in december.

good luck.

B-)

Could someone please answer the original question. Are there registry settings that need to be reactivated?

Run Msconfig, click Advanced, check Standby feature...
Does this help?

Um ... What Standby feature?
I'm trying to learn so i just went to msconfig/advanced and found no reference to standby in the options?
Mine is an IBM Aptive with AMD K2-2 @350, Win 98 and 192 RAM. .......... I wonder why that options not on my Advanced menu. I have ocassional probs with Standby so I'm interested in knowing more about this. JMikl K
bigpygme@earthlink.net

Now that you mention it, I don't have this option in Advanced either. Running Win 98 SE

I have Windows ME...
Wrong forum.
My mistake, sorry.

To reinstate the standby feature that window has turned off you must remove the floppy drive form the syetem settings then reoot. Windows detectts the floppy and hay presto brings back the standby option. Funny thing to do to fix the problem but I've seen it work on 2 laptops and one PC.

Just ignore any comemnts from anyone who says standby is a waste of time. If you need it and find it useful and have lost it but don't know how to get it back then this should help.

Peter

Well, I don't see what all the fuss is about. To access standby, right click anywhere on your desktop, then select properties, then screensaver, then at the bottom right,click on settings. Second option is standby. From my experience I have seen two things from standby, it barely works or doesn't work at all. It is much better to disable it and set your monitor and hd to power down. I have had frequent problems with standby on most of my computers. If you already had a problem once, you can expect it again, and next time your pc may not boot ;0) good luck

Sorry Wicket I think you've missed the problem. Standby has disappeared and is NOT available to windows. It has to be made available again, hence the removal of the floppy and reinstallation. It is not just a question of finding out where it is on a menu or drop down box. It is unavailable.

Peter

Running ME but as crisc pointed out why doesn't the MKB article help out...?

Standby Missing From Windows Shutdown Dialog Box

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\VPOWERD

Verify that there is a "Flags" value and a "SuspendFlag" value. If these values do not exist, quit Registry Editor, and contact your hardware manufacturer for further assistance. If these values exist, verify that the data value of the "Flags" value is greater than or equal to 200. If it is, modify the data value of the "Flags" value by subtracting 200 from the current value. For example, if the value is currently 310, change it to 110. Change the data value of the "SuspendFlag" value to 0 if it is not already 0.

FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH...my registry key values are as below, Standby is INCLUDED option on Shutdown
---------------------------------------------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VPOWERD]
"SuspendFlag"=dword:00000000
"StaticVxD"="*VPOWERD"
"Start"=hex:00
"Flags"=dword:00000000
"SuspendHasWorkedFlag"=dword:00000001
----------------------------------------------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"Shutdown Setting"=dword:00000004
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Also topic available at:

Windows Remembers the Previous Shutdown Option
smitee

My occasional Standby problem (with my Aptiva IBM) also has involved a .vxd driver. When my Standby malfunctions, my standard shutdown process also malfunctions with a error message regarding IDEVSD.VXD. I just reloaded it off the IBM Recovery disk since I don't find it via Extract on the Win98 CD. And it seems recovered and functional again.
I don't yet know what other software, or download, I do that interferes with the .vxd file or the Registry.
But it's begun to sound like a version of the problem more particular to IBM Aptiva, than maybe to Win98 (although an underlying .vxd problem apparently is similar).

Hate to say this, but using the Win98 APM system, I have never know how to wake it up from Standby - it might as well be shut off (or dead) so I use IBM's "EZ" keyboard etc.
What's the standard default buttom (or whatever) to awaken from Standby when it's operated from routine AdvPwrMgt? <blush> JMikl K
bigpygme@earthlink.net

mymikl

Hi

I am running WinMe (you think you have problems..LOL) and &quot;wakeup&quot; from Standby is any key or mouse movement. Not sure on Win98..

As to your VXD problem found this article in Newsgroup, which even though it describes a Fatal Exception error still may apply to your Aptiva...

Anyone out there with an Aptiva running Ali chip set and receiving 0E exception
errors, check their website to get the updated IDE bus master driver. Both IBM
support pages and IBM updater provide an old version of the driver that has bugs.
Ali's driver page is at
courtesy :Scott Kelley Newsgroups microsoft.public.win98.performance

Good Luck smitee

that's exACTLY what i have, and i can't wait to check out the page you gave. (I'm new enought to sitll be amazed at how so many people KNOW these thngs - and perplexed at how so many people learn about them!<grin>)
IBM's downloads have caused problems - in fact, i think they are the initial cause for the keyboard/short-cut and the standby problems i've had, was their own updates!
THX AGAIN
JMikl K
bigpygme@earthlink.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back