Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I restore the Admin account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domino1879

Technical User
Nov 22, 2002
US
I have a WinXP Media Center PC, and have always had only the default "Admin" account active. Well, today I decided to create a secondary account for a family member, but now the only selectable account is hers, and it seems to have replaced the Admin account. If I remember correctly, Win2k used to always keep the Administrator account.

I see an Admin folder in the Documents and Settings folder, but I do not know of a way to log into it. How can I restore that Admin account and set the other to a limited user?

Any help would be appreciated.

Delete the user account that you just created and it will go back to Administrator account I think.

For some reason XP decides it's a good idea to hide the Admin accounts once you have a user there.

My personal preference is to delete every account aside of the admin account and have it auto-log-in.
Of course my preference is a big no-no with the way Microsoft tells you how to do it. Microsoft and some users prefer to operate under non-admin rights so that they cant screw up their computer by mistake.

Has some tips and explinations on this behavior.

-Tim

Tim Roop
"If you can do something about it, why waste time getting upset? If you can't do anything about it, why bother getting upset on top of it? -Shantideva

Press Control/Alt/Delete twice at logon to access the classic login box and then type Administrator in there.

The Administrator will be available from Safe Mode.

You can look at these tweaks if you want to see it in Normal Mode via the Welcome Screen.

Hiding accounts from the logon screen
thread779-430877

Display Administrator Account on logon Screen
thread779-423121

You can also click on "ctrl" "alt" "del" keys on the login screen and you can manualy type in the username and password of the admin account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back