Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I remove Restore Points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artheim

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
US
I have several virus found in the Restore files and would like to remove them. I have AVG and it is unable to heal or delete the files, I also cannot delete them via the explorer or MSDOS command line and cannot find any interface to remove the restore points that are known to be bad.. any suggestions?

Howdy

Turn off system restore. This will remove all existing restore points.

Don't forget to turn it back on again.

If you do not know how to do this :

- Right-click on 'My Computer' and choose 'Properties'
- Click on the 'System Restore' tab at the top
- Tick the box 'Turn off System Restore on all drives'
- Click on 'Apply'
- Read the message and click on 'Yes' to accept
- Wait until the status for the listed drives changes to 'Turned off'
- Remove the tick in the 'Turn off System Restore on all drives' box
- Click on 'Apply'
- Once the status of the listed drives changes back to 'Monitoring', Click on 'OK'

All restore points shoudl now be deleted.

Hope this helps

TSSTechie

[lightsaber] May The Force Be With You [trooper] [yoda]

Thanks, TSSteckie, but the problem I had was system restore did not appear to work. Found that the statemgr had been disabled in the startup group. Enabled that, and then after switching the Restore function on/off several times, and several re-boots later, it is now all cleared out. BTW, the location for the System Restore function is under Performance, then File System, then Troubleshooting and appears to be system wide, not associated with a specific drive.

Howdy,

Many appologies for the incorrect information. I meant to put on the end that the instructions were correct for Windows XP. I am not familiar with ME but was hoping/assuming that it would be the same.

Sorry

TSSTechie

[lightsaber] May The Force Be With You [trooper] [yoda]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back