Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I remove my Laptop cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillJacobus

Technical User
Jul 22, 2001
US
I have Toshiba Satellite 2505CDS, and I would like to remove the case to inspect the fans. I tried to take it apart before, but after removing all of the screws it didn't want to come apart. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Bill J.

Hi Bill,

I've only been under the hood of about 6 or 7 laptops. And the fist few, I did the same thing as you have....look for screws and take 'em all out and the laptop still wouldn't come apart. In my limited experience, its always been the keyboard that "pops" out or slides off or unclips or something, sometines without removing a single screw, to allow access to the innards of the computer. I have not opened a Toshiba though.

I know this next part will go in one eye and right out the other....but I thought it should be said. I don't consider myself a genius, just methodical and persistent. I was able to figure all of this out on my own in about 15 - 30 minutes the first time. Perhaps if you haven't been able to get the bugger open yet, you should take it to someone that has been trained to do this stuff.

That said....if I were you, I'd try it too. ;-)
Good luck! ! Caution !
All letters typed above are the direct result of staring at computer screens for extended periods of time and the consuption of massive quantities of caffeine. Beware!

Pnambic is right. Sometimes those screws are just to take a drive out. Try to find buttons found on the keyboard. It is probably a really small one (one on each side). You gotta press and hold it down while you lift up the keyboard. This is most common in laptops.

-Feryl

Usually with Toshibas there are several screws under the keyboard. There is probably a slim trim piece at the top or bottom of the keyboard that can be carefully pried off and will release the keyboard.

You may also have to remove the screen. There are several covers that can be pried off at the corners of the case that reveal the hinges and the screws that hold them in place.

As Pnambic said though, be forewarned - there are very slim ribbon cables for the mouse/keyboard that must be removed, and also for the screen if you need to go that route. Most importantly, you will not be able to actually turn the thing on once you've disassembled it like you can a desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back